A new Canon EOS-1D X firmware (rel. 1.1.1) has been released. Among the fixes and new features, two stand out and one of them answers a diffuse user complaint:
- Center auto-focus is cross-type down to f/8 (was f/5.6 with previous firmware)
- AF points are now shown in red when in AI servo mode
The firmware and an updated manual can be downloaded (click here) from the EOS-1D X page. The product advisory:
Firmware Version 1.1.1 incorporates the following improvements and fixes.
1. Enables the center AF point to autofocus when the camera is used with lens/extender
combinations whose combined maximum aperture is f/8 (f/5.6 without the firmware
* Please see the “Lenses and Usable AF points” section of the revised instruction manual
for more details on the lens & camera combinations.
2. Displays the viewfinder information (such as the AF frames, grid, etc.) in red during
autofocusing in AI Servo AF.
* When shooting in dark environments during AI Servo AF, the AF points can be easily
* During AI Servo AF, the viewfinder will be lit intermittently, not continuously.
3. Corrects a phenomenon in which the metering value of the AE sensor becomes incorrect and the captured images become pitch-black depending on the timing of lens attachment and/or detachment.
4. Fixes a phenomenon in which Err 70 may occur during AEB shooting.
5. Corrects errors in the Arabic menu.
6. Fixes a phenomenon in which the firmware of the lenses cannot be updated normally.
Firmware Version 1.1.1 is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.0.6. If the camera’s firmware is already Version 1.1.1, it is not necessary to update the firmware. The firmware update takes approximately seven minutes.
When updating the firmware of your camera, please first go over the instructions thoroughly before you download the firmware.
The instruction manual has been revised consistent with the changes outlined in items 1 and 2 listed above. Users are asked to download both the latest firmware and the instruction manual from our Web site.
Support Canon Watch! I love to bring you all the latest news about everything that's related to Canon, and to photography. If you like what I am doing here, then consider buying your gear by clicking my affiliate links. You won't pay a penny more and I get a small commission that helps keep the site going. I only link well known and reputable sellers. Thank you for your support!