Canon eventually released the massive firmware update for the EOS 7D (refurbished at Canon Store for $1,359, click here) announced some months back. You can find 7Ds also on eBay, starting refurbished from $1,149 (click here), and new from ($1,240.71 (click here)). This is a huge update, introducing new features and tweaking others. To download the firmware click here (you have first to choose your operating system, then you can download the file). New features/tweaks:
Firmware Version 2.0.0 incorporates the following improvements, new functions, and fixes.
1. Improves the maximum burst in continuous shooting. JPEG Large/Fine: About 94 (126) bursts *1 -> About 110 (130) bursts *2 RAW: About 15 (15) bursts *1 -> About 23 (25) bursts *2 RAW+JPEG Large/Fine: About 6 (6) bursts *1 -> About 17 (17) bursts *2 *1 The figures are based on Canon’s testing standards (ISO 100 and Standard Picture Style) using a 4 GB card. The figures in parentheses indicate the number of shots that can be taken with an Ultra DMA (UDMA) 4-GB card, based on Canon’s testing standards. *2 The figures are based on Canon’s testing standards (ISO 100 and Standard Picture Style) using an 8 GB card. The figures in parentheses indicate the number of shots that can be taken with an Ultra DMA (UDMA) 128-GB card, based on Canon’s testing standards.
2. Supports a new accessory, GPS Receiver GP-E2.
3. Adds an ISO Auto maximum setting.
4. Adds an in-camera RAW processing function.
5. Adds a Quick Control function during image playback.
6. Adds a rating function.
7. Adds a JPEG resize function.
8. Adds an auto recording level manual adjustment function.
9. Adds a function to freely set text for file names.
10. Adds a function to make time zone settings.
11. Increases the screen scrolling speed when magnifying images.
12. Fixes a phenomenon where a slow shutter speed may result when an external flash is used to fire intermittent, consecutive flashes.
13. Corrects the color space information in the Exif file for movies.