Steve’s Digicams reviewed the Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD lens, Tamron latest image-stabilized ultra-zoom. The Tamron sells for $1069 and offers a lot of bang for the money. Good sharpness, a great telephoto range, and accurate and quick auto-focus are among the highlights of this lens.
They list what they liked about the Tamron 150-600mm:
- Amazing zoom range, perfect for shooting from a distance
- Vibration Correction adds up to 4 stops of correction when shooting handheld
- Although large, it is compact for this class of lens
- Smooth, easy rotating rings for zoom and focus
- Weather-sealed for shooting in all conditions
- Affordable price tag (for a lens in this category)
From the conclusion:
Tamron’s new ultra-zoom lens, the SP 150-600MM F/5-6.3 Di VC USD, is a large and powerful zoom lens for anyone that is looking to get up close and personal with their subjects. This large lens can be used with either Full-Frame or APS-C sized image sensors, although with an APS-C sensor you are looking at 240mm-960mm (with Canon’s 1.6x crop factor). This provides excellent zoom for extreme situations, distant sport photography and it is outstanding for wildlife photography. The ability to get close to your subjects without actually getting close to them allows you to photograph them without disturbing them and their natural habits. Weather-resistant construction allows you to be out in most weather conditions with the confidence that the lens will come through with no trouble, even in high moisture or rain.