- For DSLRs with APS-C Sized Image Format
- Aperture Range: f/2.0-22
- 25.6mm Equivalency in 35mm Format
- Two Aspherical Lens Elements
- One Extra-low Dispersion Element
- UMC Lens Coating
- Manual Focus
ephotozine published the first review of the Samyang 16mm f/2.0 ED AS UMC CS lens. This lens may also be branded Rokinon, Bower, Walimex, and a with few more names. The Samyang 16mm is an all manual lens (no electronic coupling with camera) that has an interesting price tag of $479, and is available for both Canon EF-S and M mounts. Build quality and optical performance usually is very good on this lenses. In the conclusion they write:
Those looking for wide aperture lenses for the APS-C or smaller format camera need not continue looking at full frame lenses, that generally cost and weigh more now this lens is available. Although some photographers may find manual focusing off putting, spending a little time practising and getting used to how the lens behaves will pay dividends in the long run. This is especially true when considering how little this lens costs for what you get.
They liked the sharpness and build quality of the lens. The review comes with test charts and sample pics.
Canon Japan published (in English) an interactive guide to the Canon EOS 70D, called EOS 70D Master Shooting Guide. The guide is divided in three main sections: 1) Select Shooting Genre, 2) Select Shooting Style and 3) Select Function. Each of these sections contains more subsections and deliver a lot of information about how to to things with the EOS 70D. The brand new, innovative Dual Pixel CMOS Af is also covered.
Canon EOS 70D pre-order links:
- Canon EOS 70D body only - $1199 - Amazon | Adorama | B&H | DigitalRev
- Canon EOS 70D with 18-55mm lens - $1349 - Amazon | Adorama | B&H | DigitalRev
- Canon EOS 70D with 18-135mm lens - $1549 - Amazon | Adorama | B&H | DigitalRev
EOS 70D specs:
- 20.2MP APS-C CMOS Sensor
- DIGIC 5+ Image Processor
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF with Live View
- 3.0″ 1,040k-Dot Vari-Angle Touchscreen
- Full HD 1080p Video with Move Servo AF
- Built-In Wireless Connectivity
- 19-Point All Cross-Type AF System
- Continuous Shooting Rate Up to 7 fps
- ISO 100-12800 (Expandable to ISO 25600)
- Scene Intelligent Auto Mode
Some good Canon lens deals at B&H, worth to be taken note:
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Telephoto Zoom Lens - $2,199 (click here) instead of $2,499
- Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Autofocus Lens - $1,499 (click here) instead of $1,699
- Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Zoom Lens - $2,099 (click here) instead of $2,299
Moreover, the Samyang 16mm f/2.0 ED AS UMC CS Lens is in stock for $479 (click here).
Latest Canon EOS 7D Mark II rumor. It is rumored that the EOS 7D Mark II may not have the same 20MP sensor of the recently announced EOS 70D, but possibly a new 24MP sensor. That makes sense, since a higher resolution sensor is needed in order to separate the EOS 7D Mark II clearly from the EOS 70D (which already sports a new, innovative sensor). Both DSLR are APS-C cameras, and the EOS 70D delivers a lot of advanced features.
The EOS 7D Mark II will not ship before end 2013, and most probably will do in early 2014. To get the whole picture check also the 7D Mark II rumour I posted yesterday. Finally, it is also suggested that there will be two new professional DSLRs announced in 2014, not featurimg APS-C sensors.
Cute little video by Canon Korea on YouTube that shows how small the Canon Rebel SL1 (EOS 100D) is, particularly when compared to other Canon DSLRs. Canon touts the Rebel SL1 as the world’s smallest DSLR.
Rebel Sl1 specs:
- 18.0MP APS-C CMOS Sensor
- DIGIC 5 Image Processor
- 3.0″ Clear View II Touchscreen LCD
- ISO 100-12800, Expandable to 25600
- Full HD 1080 Video with Continuous AF
- 4.0 fps Continuous Shooting
- 9-Point AF System
- Scene Intelligent Auto Mode
- Compact and Lightweight; Weighs 0.8 lb
- Compatible with Canon EF and EF-S Lenses