Today Tamron officially announced the Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC lens, available August 20. There is a dedicated microsite for the new Tamron 18-200mm.
Price not yet defined. The new Tamron 18-200mm can be pre-ordered at $249,99: Adorama or B&H Photo.
Tamron press release:
New Tamron 18-200mm zoom is the lightest in the world
High-performance lens features VC image stabilization, improved AF and weighs just 400g (14.1 oz.)
18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC (Model B018）
August 6, 2015, Saitama City, Japan – Tamron Co., Ltd. (President & CEO: Morio Ono), a leading manufacturer of precision optics, today announces the introduction of a new high-performance lens that zooms from 18 to 200mm for APS-C DSLR cameras.
The new 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC (Model B018) is the successor to AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] MACRO (Model A14), which has been one of Tamron’s best-selling lenses since its introduction 10 years ago. The new 18-200mm VC uses the most modern optical and mechanical design to achieve compactness and high performance. Incorporating image stabilization, the 18-200mm VC delivers superior image quality and is the lightest zoom in its class. Tamron made full use of its long experience and expertise as a pioneering force in high-power zoom lenses to create an optimal all-in-one™ lens that opens up new photographic possibilities to all DSLR camera users.
Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC
No need to change lenses—shoot in a wide variety of settings, from true wideangle to telephoto, with a single lens
- A zoom range of 18 to 200mm (35mm equivalent: 28-310mm) means there is no need to change lenses even when switching from wideangle shots in tight places to long telephoto shots of distant objects. Ideal for everything from large groups photos, family pictures, portraits, scenery, animals and school events—even for close-up shots (less than 0.5m / 19.7 in.) of food.
Greater portability at a weight of just 400g (14.1 oz.)—the lightest lens in its class
- Covers the focal length range of 18 to 200mm and features Tamron’s VC (Vibration Compensation)*2, but weighs a mere 400g (14.1 oz.). Tamron designed the 18-200mm VC to be as user-friendly as possible by emphasizing portability and convenience. Users will appreciate the incredible balance and comfortable feel of this lens—even when used with the newest APS-C DSLR cameras.
Features VC and AF, providing valuable support for DSLR camera novices
- Camera vibration is magnified in telephoto shots and when a slow shutter speed is used because of dim lighting. Even beginners can take great photos at long distances, at night, and indoors—and avoid camera shake—thanks to Tamron’s acclaimed VC mechanism. By incorporating a newly designed autofocus drive module with optimal DC motor-gear train integration, the 18-200mm VC also focuses much more quickly and quietly than models with conventional DC motors.
Delivers enhanced imaging performance in a lightweight package
- Featuring 16 elements in 14 groups, the 18-200mm VC uses an LD (Low Dispersion) lens element to minimize chromatic aberrations. Although light and compact with VC, Tamron’s new offering also delivers amazing overall optical performance for an all-purpose lens. A circular, seven-blade aperture diaphragm maintains an almost perfectly round shape even at two stops down from its maximum aperture, providing desirable and beautiful bokeh with point light sources blurring into naturally rounded shapes.
Works great as an easy-to-use lens for day-to-day use
- For added dependability and longer life, Tamron’s new lens features moisture-resistant construction that helps prevent damage caused by accidental exposure to wetness. The lens also comes with a Zoom Lock feature to prevent unwanted barrel extension when users carry their lens and camera body combinations with the lens pointed toward the ground.
|Angle of View (diagonal)
||16 elements in 14 groups
|Minimum Object Distance
||0.49m/19.3 in. (at 180mm)~0.77m/30.3 in. (at 35mm)
[at f=18, 200mm: 0.5m /19.7 in.]
|Maximum Magnification Ratio
||1:4 (at f=200mm: MOD 0.5m)
||for Canon 96.6mm (3.8 in.)**
for Nikon 94.1mm (3.7 in.)**
||400g (14.1 oz.)**
||Flower-shaped lens hood, Lens caps
||Canon, Nikon, Sony
- Specifications, appearance, functionality, etc. are subject to change without prior notice.
- * Length is the distance from the front tip of the lens to the lens mount face.
- ** Length and weight are based on figures for the Canon and the Nikon-mount lens.
- *3 The circular diaphragm stays almost perfectly circular up to two stops down from maximum aperture.