Two weeks ago Canon released an important firmware update for the Canon EOS-1D X. This is a big update that brings improvements for auto-focus, exposure control, and more.
The Canon Digital Learning Center published a long and detailed article to explain all what you need to know about the firmware update. The highlights that come with the update:
- Autofocus: improve low-light focus capability when tracking moving subjects in AI Servo AF
- Autofocus: expanded range of Accel./Decel. Tracking settings toimprove AI Servo AF stability when focus-tracking subjects moving at a consistent speed.
- AF point management: Orientation Linked AF adds a new option toregister only AF points rather than AF point plus area; Auto AF point selection in AI Servo can now start from the same AF point used last during Manual AF point selection.
- Exposure control: Make Auto ISO even more viable (two important new changes), and a new option to maintain consistent manual exposure, even if aperture changes (such as if a tele extender is removed and shooting immediately begins after it’s removed)
- Customization: New “back-button” options to instantly change AF characteristics on-the-fly
In December 2013 Samyang announced a new, exiting ultra-wide angle lens, the Samyang 10mm f/2.8 The lens will be available for Canon’s EF and EF-M mount (among other mount types). For some sample pics head over to Samyang’s website.
The lens is not yet available for pre-order, but you can get notified when you can order it:
- Patent Publication No. 2014-10286
- Publication date 2014.1.20
- Filing date 2012.6.29
- Example 1
- Zoom ratio 2.06
- Focal length f = 11.30-18.00-23.30mm
- Fno. 4.10
- Half angle ω = 62.42-50.24-42.88mm
- Image height Y = 21.64mm
- 172.19-161.28-162.86mm overall length of the lens
- BF 38.82-52.31-63.15mm
Update 2: the deal is over
Update: not sure if the deal is still live. The offer shows up with $639.99 on eBay’s daily deals page, but if from there you go the product page the price now shows $899 – sorry guys.
|eBay seller 6ave (99.2% positive ratings) has the Canon Rebel T5i/EOS 700D on sale for $639.99. Free shipping in the US|
The Canon Digital Learning Center published 4 new Cinema EOS white papers. The new papers are:
NEW: Personality of the Canon Cinema EOS Lens: Design Strategies
The newer generation of Cinema EOS lenses came from multiple optical design resources within Canon, such as ourEF Lens and Broadcast Lens designs.
NEW: Personality of the Canon Cinema EOS Lens: Image Sharpness
A design goal with the Cinema zoom lenses was to achieve an overall optical performance that would equate with the best of contemporary prime lenses over their respective focal lengths.
NEW: Personality of the Canon Cinema EOS Lens: Color Reproduction
The new generation of Canon Cinema lenses paid high attention to optimizing color reproduction of the lens-camera system, such as how it reproduces skin tones of various ethnicities.
NEW: Personality of the Canon Cinema EOS Lens: Contrast
Achieving a high contrast ratio is universally sought by cinematographers and is always a central design goal for the optical designers.
You have to scroll down and click on the Additional Resources links to download the Cinema EOS white papers