The EOS 6D wasn’t the only camera that Canon announced yesterday at Photokina. As expected there was also a new PowerShot, called G15 (where have the G13 and G14 gone?). So, if the PowerShot G1 X (bigger sensor) isn’t the right tool for you, the G15 could be worth a look. Featuring a cool f/1.8, 28-140mm, 5x optical zoom and an IS that’s said to give you four stops. And then: 10fps, 1080p video and up to ISO 12800. Click here for a hands-on by Engadget. Expected price is $499, the G15 will be available in October.
- 12.1MP CMOS Sensor
- 3.0″ LCD Monitor
- 5x Optical Zoom 6.1-30.5mm Lens
- 28-140mm 35mm Equivalent Focal Length
- DIGIC 5 Image Processor
- 1080p HD Video Capture
- 12800 ISO
- Intelligent IS Image Stabilization
- 10fps Continuous Capture
- RAW & JPEG Capture
The Canon PowerShot G15 Digital Camera is a point-and-shoot with expansive creative possibilities. Going beyond the genre’s name, the G15 provides you with any number of options for capturing your vision – from 1080p HD video recording to 10 fps continuous burst shooting to numerous shooting modes. In addition, the G15′s compact form-factor makes it well-suited for being your go-to image maker.
The PowerShot G15 also features a 5x optical zoom 28-140mm (35mm equivalent) f/1.8-2.8 lens. The lens gives you a good overall range for shooting in most any situation, from group shoots to macro close-ups. The aperture range lends itself to capturing successful images in low-light conditions as well as the ability to render shallow depth-of-field.
The camera’s 12.1MP CMOS sensor works together with the DIGIC 5 image processor, comprising Canon’s HS SYSTEM. The aforementioned low-light performance is a hallmark of this duo; enabling the ISO to be set up to 12800, if need be. The processor also enables fast transfer of data while powering the copious features and functions of the camera.
Two examples of these functions are High-Speed AF and High-Speed Burst HQ. These two provide the G15 with a continuous capture rate of 10 fps while maintaining image quality. Of course, Intelligent IS image stabilization, a vast range of shooting and recording modes – including 12-bit multi aspect RAW + JPEG capture, and many other features ensure that the G15 is more than the name ‘point-and-shoot’ would suggest.
Other ways the G15 gives you an edge for your photographic endeavors include the optical viewfinder, a 3.0″ LCD, a hot shoe, and a tripod mount. An HDMI connection also provides you with a one-cable connection to your HDTV for instant sharing of recorded videos. In addition, the PowerShot G15 can be used with multiple Canon accessories to expand the camera’s creative power. Optional compatible accessories include Speedlites, an underwater housing, and a tele-converter lens, to name a few.
- 12.1MP High-Sensitivity CMOS Sensor
- The PowerShot G15 employs a Canon 12.1MP CMOS sensor which delivers high-quality imaging performance and is optimized for use in compact cameras. Utilizing a sophisticated light-capturing design, it provides high-sensitivity for improved high ISO capture with reduced noise. The sensor also lends itself to high-speed image capture, fast transfer of image data to the processor, as well as enabling rapid continuous shooting (10fps) and quick autofocus
- Fast 5X Zoom Lens
- Engineered specifically for the PowerShot G15, the camera’s 28mm wide-angle 5x optical zoom lens is the right tool for capturing sweeping images from landscapes to cityscapes to group shots. Shallow depth-of-field is possible thanks to the f/1.8-2.8 maximum aperture, and allows for soft background blur for striking images even in low-light settings
- Canon DIGIC 5 Image Processor
- The Canon DIGIC 5 Image Processor works with the PowerShot G15′s image sensor to enable faster processing speeds, delivering detailed images in many low-light situations without the need for artificial light sources. Noise reduction produces clear images when shooting in low-light at high ISO speeds up to ISO 12800. The fast processing speeds result in fast continuous shooting while maintaining a high level of image quality. With the power of the DIGIC 5 Image processor, the PowerShot G15 can also perform advanced functions like lens correction, special scene modes, and much more
- Canon’s HS SYSTEM Enables Exceptional Low-Light Performance to ISO 12800
- The PowerShot G15 gives you the power to create images with depth, detail, and impact. The 12.1MP high-sensitivity CMOS sensor works in concert with Canon’s own DIGIC 5 Image Processor to create the Canon HS SYSTEM. With this proprietary system you’ll experience quality tracking performance, even in low-light, and achieve solid image quality even at high ISO speeds, all the way up to ISO 12800
- 1080p HD Video Capture
- Simply touch the dedicated movie button, embedded in the PowerShot G15′s thumb pad, to start recording video in 1080p full HD. Video capture in 1080p is vivid and realistic, and Canon’s Fine Detail Movie Processing achieves videos with high resolution processing that records approximately 4x the amount of information during video shooting for clarity and sharpness. You’re free to use the full range of the zoom in movie mode, and the sound is recorded in stereo. An HDMI output allows you to view and share your videos on an HDTV immediately, simply by connecting the camera to the TV with an optional HDMI cable
- Faster Focus and High-Speed Shooting
- The PowerShot G15 is equipped with Canon’s High Speed AF. The result of several technologies, High Speed AF delivers significantly faster focus speeds for a responsive shooting experience that lets you capture every shot as it happens. Thanks to High Speed AF, the PowerShot G15′s shooting time lag is only 0.22 seconds. This technology also powers the camera’s High-Speed Burst HQ, with continuous capture at a maximum speed of approximately 10 fps. Moreover, images captured in High-Speed Burst HQ maintain the camera’s native image quality
- Intelligent IS Automatically Chooses from Six Modes of Image Stabilization
- Capture clear, steady images with the PowerShot G15, even in low-light without using a tripod. That’s because the camera is equipped with Canon’s innovative Intelligent IS. This system analyzes camera movement and applies the best shake correction method for the shooting situation – allowing you to focus on framing and capturing your shot. For stills, the system automatically selects from Normal, Panning, Macro (Hybrid), and Tripod IS modes. When shooting video, the system automatically selects from Dynamic, Powered, Macro, and Tripod IS modes
- Creative Possibilities
- The PowerShot G15 uses a 12-bit converter to process the output of the CMOS sensor, resulting in true color, smooth tonal transitions and natural gradations. The PowerShot G15 lets you shoot in RAW mode, which records all the information capture by the sensor, giving you flexibility and creative control when editing your images. The camera allows you to record in RAW and JPEG formats simultaneously as well. In RAW mode, you can even select from several aspect ratios, including 16:9, 3:2, 4:3, 1:1, and 4:5
- Optional System Accessories
- A host of optional accessories including Speedlite flashes, an underwater housing, and a tele-converter lens expand the camera’s imaging possibilities. The G15 works with e-TTL EX-series Speedlites, as well as the Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX and the Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX
- Bright, High-Resolution LCD
- The G15′s big, bright 3.0″ LCD screen makes framing, shooting, and camera adjustments easy with a wide viewing angle, high contrast, and notable color reproduction. The screen has 922,000 dots of resolution, which enables detailed views of your shots upon playback. For added shooting versatility, the camera is also equipped with a real-image type optical viewfinder for a familiar alternative to composing shots with an LCD screen. You can ensure a perfectly clear view by making dioptric adjustments within a range of approximately +/-2m
- Dual Axis Electronic Level
- The PowerShot G15 has a Dual Axis Electronic Level that features an artificial horizon over the image on the rear LCD screen or in the viewfinder for easy leveling while shooting. The dual axis electronic level shows both horizontal roll and vertical pitch, making it easy to identify when the camera is in a fixed level shooting position and ready to take the shot
- EOS-Like Dial Setting
- Like EOS DSLR cameras, the PowerShot G15 employs a convenient front dial. The front dial can be set to control shooting parameters including focus, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, step zoom, exposure compensation, white balance, i-Contrast, and aspect ratio
- Appending Copyright Information
- The in-camera copyright information feature helps professionals secure control over images by setting copyright data directly into the camera and appending that information to each file in the EXIF metadata
- Shooting Modes
- PowerShot cameras offer shooting modes that make it easy to take photos in a wide range of shooting situations by providing intelligent presets with optimized settings. Shooting modes include: Custom, Manual, Aperture-Priority, Shutter-Priority, Program, Smart AUTO, Movie Digest, Portrait, Smooth Skin, Smart Shutter, High-Speed Burst HQ, Handheld Night Scene, Underwater, Snow, Fireworks, Stitch Assist, Creative Filters, High Dynamic Range, Nostalgic, Fisheye Effect, Miniature Effect for Movies & Stills, Toy Camera Effect, Soft Focus, Monochrome, Super Vivid, Poster Effect, Color Accent, Color Swap, Movie, iFrame Movie, and Super Slow Motion Movie
- Direct Connection to Your Printer
- Directly connect your PowerShot camera to a Canon PIXMA or SELPHY photo printer with the included USB cable and simply press the button to print
- 30 Display Languages
There are a total of 30 display languages from which you can choose: English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Portuguese, Korean, Greek, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Thai, Arabic, Romanian, Ukrainian, Farsi, Hindi, Malay, Indonesian, and Vietnamese