Adobe just released the first major update to the latest iteration of Lightroom, it’s release 4.1 [thanks for the anonymous indication, but the post was already scheduled]. There are many bug fixes, and some added cameras and lenses. The new supported Canon cameras are the EOS 5D Mark III, the EOS-1D X, the EOS 60Da and the PowerShot G1 X. The newly supported lenses are the CanonEF 35mm f/2, Sigma APO 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM, Tokina AT-X 107 AF DX Fish-Eye 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5, Tokina AT-X PRO FX 16-28mm f/2.8 and Tokina AT-X PRO FX 17-35mm f/4. Lightroom 4 was reviewed by DPreview (click here).
Download Lightroom 4.1 update for Windows (click here) and for Mac (click here). Together with the LR update, Adobe released updates for Adobe Camera Raw (ver. 7.1, Windows and Mac) and Adobe DNG Converter (rel. 7.1, Windows and Mac)
Lightroom 4.1 is now available as a final release on Adobe.com and through the update mechanism in Lightroom 4. The goal of this release is to provide additional camera raw support, lens profile support and address bugs that were introduced in previous releases of Lightroom. In addition, Lightroom 4.1 introduces the following new features:
- The ability to process HDR TIFF files. (16, 24 or 32-bit TIFF files) This can be useful if you have merged multiple exposures into a single 32-bit image using Photoshop’s HDR Pro. Using the new basic panel controls can be a very effective and straightforward method of achieving an overall balance across the tonal range.
- Additional Color Fringing corrections to help address chromatic aberration. Click here to learn more
- Save photobooks created in the Book Module as JPEG files
- Publishing photos to Adobe Revel is now accessible via a Publish plugin
Bugs Corrected in Lightroom 4.1
The following bugs that were part the Lightroom 4 releases have been corrected. The team appreciates the very detailed feedback the community has provided on Lightroom 4 and we’re excited to correct a number of issues experienced by our customers. These issues have been FIXED:
- Point Curve adjustments made in Lightroom 3 have been restored.
- Edit-in functionality has been restored to external applications including Adobe Photoshop and Nik plugins
- Addressed performance issues in Lightroom 4, particularly when loading GPS track logs, using a secondary monitor, and the controls within the Develop module.
- Ability to update DNG previews and metadata for more than 100 photos has been restored.
- This update allows for improved viewing of subfolders and stacks in folders with a large number of photos.
- It was possible that a layout of a saved book could be lost after quitting Lightroom 4.
- Adjustments made in the Develop module were not properly being reflected to photos that have been laid out in the Book Module
- Postscript Type 1 Fonts do not appear in the Font menu within the Book module.
- Clarity adds grey tinting to 100% white tones.
Known Issues in Lightroom 4.1:
- Double byte fonts such as those found in Chinese and Japanese characters are not being exported to PDF or when published to Blurb.
- The Revel Publish Service will delete photos from a carousel. This occurs when the customer asks Lightroom to delete the carousel and then cancels out of the confirmation dialogue box.
New Camera Support in Lightroom 4.1
- Canon EOS 1D X
- Canon EOS 5D Mark III
- Canon EOS 60Da
- Canon PowerShot G1 X
Supported Canon or EF-mount lenses
Lens Mount Lens Name Canon Canon EF 35mm f/2 Canon Sigma APO 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon Tokina AT-X 107 AF DX Fish-Eye 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 Canon Tokina AT-X PRO FX 16-28mm f/2.8 Canon Tokina AT-X PRO FX 17-35mm f/4
Support Canon Watch! I love to bring you all the latest news about everything that's related to Canon, and to photography. If you like what I am doing here, then consider buying your gear by clicking my affiliate links. You won't pay a penny more and I get a small commission that helps keep the site going. I only link well known and reputable sellers. Thank you for your support!