You are browsing the archive for 24-105mm Archives - CanonWatch.
Photozone reviewed Canon’s new EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens for full-frame DSLRs. This isn’t an “L” grade lens, it’s a more inexpensive version of this for full-frame sensors very popular zoom range. So how does it perform? Better than you may expect, especially if you take in account that this lens costs $599 on Amazon.
In the verdict they write:
The Canon EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 STM IS has a couple of the “right ingredients” for being a potentially good performer – it doesn’t really have an ambitious zoom range, the max. aperture is very moderate and despite all this, it is a comparatively big lens resulting in only moderate optical constraints. So how’s the end result ? Pretty good … although not flawless. Technically the lens is surprisingly sharp. The image center is especially impressive at mainstream aperture settings. The borders/corners are also decent. However, the field curvature can spoil the corner results at the wide end of the range and near infinity focus. Distortions are visible at the extreme ends of the zoom range. Lateral CA are generally moderate except in the corners at 24mm. The 24mm setting is also a bit of a weak spot with respect to vignetting at max. aperture. The EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 STM IS is obviously a slow lens and as such you shouldn’t expect wonders regarding its bokeh potential but the technical quality is comparable to other standard zoom lenses.
It’s a pretty good lens for those who are on a budget or just want to carry around less weight, and it has virtually silent, STM-driven auto-focus (good for the videographers). The EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens is the new kit option for the EOS 6D. Tech specs:
- The first standard zoom EF lens for full frame sensor cameras to include a lead screw-type stepping motor (STM).
- The focusing mechanism employs an inner focus lens, a stepping motor and lead screw to support the Canon EOS Movie Servo AF function and provide smooth and quiet continuous AF during video recording, as well as when shooting photos.
- Optical Image Stabilizer provides up to four shutter speed stops of correction*.
- New 7-group zoom optics allows for a conveniently compact design and outstanding optical performance.
- Two aspheric lenses plus a UD lens combine to provide high-quality results for both still images and movies.
- Circular aperture (7 blades) delivers beautiful, soft backgrounds.
- Optimized lens placement and coatings deliver exceptional color balance, while minimising ghosting and flare.
- Inner focusing system, high-speed CPU and improved AF algorithm allow high-speed autofocus.
- Full-time manual focus allows manual focus adjustment while in AF Mode.
The day starts with very good deals…
- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS lens for ridiculous $599.99 at Adorama on eBay
- Canon Rebel T5 kits starting from $399 at B&H Photo
Lowest price ever for an EOS 5D Mark III
- Canon EOS 5D Mark III on sale for $2,399.99 at eBay seller Big Value Inc (99.4 positive ratings)
- Canon EOS 5D Mark III on sale for $2,399.99 at eBay seller All New Shop (99.2 positive ratings)
All Black Friday deals on our constantly updated Black Friday 2014 page.
I expect Canon to announce the new products either tomorrow or monday. Stay tuned…
Canon EF 24-105 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM:
– One UD lens and two glass mold aspherical lens
– AF drivent by stepping motor
– Full-time manual focus
– 4 stops IS
– Maximum magnification is 0.3x
– New kit lens for the EOS 6D
Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II:
– Total length 232.7 mm
– Weight is 2100 g
– Third generation DO lens
– One large-diameter UD lens
– One large-diameter aspherical lens grinding
– 4 stop IS
– Special coating SWC
– Dust and water resistant
Canon Set To Announce New Lenses Very Soon (EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF 24-105mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM)
Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS
Digicame (translated) posted what I am not shy to define as the first reliable rumor on what Canon is going to announce at Photokina 2014. Yes, these lenses are going to be announced at Photokina 2014!
- EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM
- EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
- EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM
The EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM was previously rumored to be an EF lens, instead it is an EF-S lens. Not yet sure if it will be a pancake lens.
The EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM is aimed at full-frame shooters, who will soon enjoy the benefits of the STM technology for their video shooting. This lens will probably be the next kit lens for the 6D. It will for sure be cheaper than an “L” grade lens. No one saw this lens come.
Stay tuned, I am sure pictures will follow soon.