- EF-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
- Aperture Range: f/2.8 to 22
- Three Aspherical Elements
- One ELD and Two SLD Elements
- Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) AF System
- Internal Focus
- Front Filter Thread: 82mm
- Rounded 9-Blade Diaphragm
I usually do not feature patents by other companies but this time I think it is worth to make an exception. A patent filed by Sigma (No. 2016-38502) was spotted and it points to a lens a lot of photographers are hoping Sigma will bring to market soon, it’s a 24-70mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Art lens.
Such a lens, given it comes with Canon mount (which is very likely) would compete with Canon’s EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM. If it comes with the outstanding quality and performance we have seen on other recent Sigma lenses, and if it has a competitive price, then it may well cause some distress at Canon.[via Egami]
Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS at a glance:
- L-Series standard zoom lens delivers superb image quality in a compact, lightweight design.
- 2 aspheric and 2 UD lens elements for high image quality throughout the entire zoom range.
- Full macro shooting mode with up to 0.7x magnification, easily accessible with a one-touch switch at the extreme telephoto end.
- Image stabilization effective up to 4 shutter speed stops and Hybrid IS compensates for both angular and shift types of camera shake for macro shooting.
- Resistant to dust and water, enabling shooting even in harsh and rigorous conditions.
- Circular diaphragm (9 blades) delivers beautiful, soft backgrounds.
- Inner focusing and ring USM for silent, fast autofocusing.
- Fluorine coating on front and rear lens surfaces reduces smears and fingerprints.
- Minimum focusing distance of 1.25 ft. / 0.38m across the entire zoom range (excluding macro).
More Canon deals on eBay.
Seller AllNewShop on eBay (99.5% positive ratings) has a very good deal on the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens, on sale at $1,449. Compare to $1,749– Free shipping. Please note: this may be a grey import item. This is a highly regarded lens at a killer price.
More Canon deals on eBay. Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II overview after the break.
Canon patent for a CN-E 24-70mm f/2.8 LS Cinema lens for Super 35mm sensors, i.e. for Canon’s Cinema line-up.
- Patent Publication No. 2016-14816
- Published 2016.1.28
- Filing date 2014.7.3
- Zoom ratio 3.00
- Focal length 24.00 48.00 72.00
- F-number 2.80 2.80 2.80
- Half angle of 32.94 17.95 12.19
- Image height 15.55 15.55 15.55
- The total lens length 241.06 241.06 241.06
- BF 49.16 49.16 49.16