Update: more information in this CPN article.
Canon announced the scheduled availability for firmware updates for both the EOS-1D C and EOS-1D X. It appears Canon is actively listening to their customers, at least to the pros. There are huge improvements set to come.
The EOS-1D C firmware is scheduled to be available in November 2013, the EOS-1D X firmware in January 2014. There are huge improvements and fixes especially for the EOS-1D X (more details in the press release text), such as:
- AF Performance with Moving Subjects
- Enhanced AI Servo AF Performance in Low Light Conditions
- Improved Acceleration/Deceleration Tracking Parameters
- Selection of Initial AF Point While Shooting in 61-Point Auto Selection AF
- AF Point Switching According to Camera Orientation
- Expanded Minimum Shutter Speed in Auto ISO
- Exposure Compensation in Auto ISO with Manual Mode Set
- Toggling Between Alternate Camera Settings
- Same Exposure for New Aperture in Manual Mod
- Display Protected Images Only
Changes in the EOS-1D C firmware update:
- EF Lens Communication
- Audio Recording (line input!!)
Canon USA press release:
Canon Firmware Upgrades For The EOS-1D X And EOS-1D C Digital SLR Cameras Deliver Improved Creative Control And Convenience
Firmware Version 2 for the EOS-1D X is Based on Extensive User Input and Provides More Efficient Autofocus Performance in Low Light, Custom Controls, and Improved User-Programmed Functionality
MELVILLE, N.Y., October 22, 2013 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, announces improvements in the functionality and convenient operation of the EOS-1D X Digital SLR camera and the EOS-1D C Digital SLR Cinema camera through new firmware scheduled to be available starting in January 2014 and November 2013, respectively. Firmware enhancements for the EOS-1D X Digital SLR camera are designed to provide photographers with greater creative freedom and speed, especially in sectors such as sports, wedding, nature/wildlife, and journalism, which often contain rapidly changing action, sometimes in low-light environments. Service enhancements for the EOS-1D C Digital SLR Cinema camera improve lens performance, lens status display, metadata storage, and audio recording.