- EF Mount L-Series Lens/Full-Frame Format
- One Fluorite and One Super UD Element
- Air Sphere and Fluorine Lens Coatings
- Ring-Type USM AF Motor, Internal Focus
- Optical Image Stabilizer with 3 Modes
- Rotating Zoom Ring & Torque Adjustment
- Weather-Sealed Design
- Detachable, Rotatable Tripod Collar
- Rounded 9-Blade Diaphragm
New optical design delivers high performance
Sharp at all focal lengths, at all apertures, and across the frame
Sharper than MkI version, and sharpest in class
Excellent image stabilization
Very close focusing, 0.31x magnification at 400mm, beats all rivals
Fast, positive and accurate AF
Top-grade weather-resistant build
Easy handling for focal length range, now with twist-ring zoom
The most significant statement, possibly, is the following: “[…] it’s hard to see how [the EF 100-400mm] might be further improved in any meaningful way […]“. Well done Canon!
Adorama has the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II on sale at $2,099. Compare at $2,199. Along with the purchase of the lens you will also receive $83.96 back in Adorama rewards. Free expedited shipping. Rebate expires 01/30.
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II key features:
- Compact, high performance L-series super-telephoto zoom makes it ideal for sports and wildlife Lens-d photography.
- One fluorite and one super UD lens element provides excellent correction of chromatic aberration throughout the entire zoom range, helping to deliver high-quality images with high resolution and contrast.
- Rotation-type zoom ring allows for more precise composition and excellent balance when handholding.
- Inner focusing, ring USM, a high-speed CPU and optimized AF algorithms for fast and accurate autofocusing.
- Optical Image Stabilizer provides up to four shutter speed steps of correction.
- Three image stabilization modes (standard, panning, and during exposure only) provide outstanding results for a wide range of shooting situations.
- Improved zoom torque adjustment ring allows easy setting of zoom tension.
- New Air Sphere Coating (ASC) helps to significantly reduce backlit flaring and ghosting.
- Highly resistant to dust and water, and amazing durability enabling shooting even in harsh conditions.
- Circular aperture (9 blades) helps deliver beautiful, soft backgrounds.
- Fluorine coating on front and rear lens surfaces helps reduce smears and fingerprints
- Lens hood with side window permits specialty filters to be adjusted with hood inplace.
- Newly designed tripod mount can be attached or detached without removing the lens from the camera
- Minimum focusing distance of 3.2 ft./0.98 m with 0.31x maximum magnification
Adorama has the regarded workhorse lens Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM on sale at $1,199.95, compare at $1,699. Pretty good price for this “L”-graded lens. You will also get back $28 in Adorama rewards. Free shipping.
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L USM key features after the break.
Which is better? If you get the Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II lens and add the Canon 2X III teleconverter, you’ll be able to use the 70-200 at f/2.8 when you need to and two stops more light (and background blur) in that range than you can with the 100-400 II. When you need the extra reach, you can add the teleconverter and jump to 140-400mm f/5.6. The total cost is pretty similar, so which is better? Will the teleconverter make the 70-200 noticeably less sharp at 400mm?
Watch the video review to learn how the two lenses compare.
[via ISO 1200]