Announced yesterday, Canon’s new concept camera, the dual camera enabled Powershot N100 got its first hands-on review by engadget (with a 2min hands-on video). The N100 in some way follows the Powershot N. The N100 has a tiltable display, WiFi and NFC, and a rear facing camera (dual capture) to get a unique perspective on your life (and your life as photographer). The back camera is named “Story Camera” by Canon: “with the innovative and new Dual Capture mode, users can simultaneously capture special moments using the Main Camera, while the Story Camera, a rear facing sub-camera, will embed a picture of them onto the main image“.
The N100’s specifications (from Adorama’s product page):
- Dual Capture uses a rear-facing secondary camera to capture your expression while shooting and then creates a picture-in-picture effect.
- Story Highlights automatically selects and compiles images into an exciting highlight reel within the camera without the use of software.
- Built-in Wi-Fi allows wireless transferring of images and video to compatible mobile devices, select social networking sites and your Wi-Fi enabled computer, and lets you remotely shoot using your smartphone or tablet.
- For easier Wi-Fi connectivity, built-in NFC (Near Field Communication) allows quick and simple pairing to a compatible Android device.
- The convenient Mobile Device Connect Button allows you to connect to your compatible Android or iOS device for quick and easy sharing.
- 5x Optical Zoom, bright f/1.8 and 24mm Wide-Angle lens with Optical Image Stabilizer for excellent image quality.
- 12.1 Megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor combined with the DIGIC 6 Image Processor creates the Canon HS SYSTEM, which helps provide excellent low-light performance.
- Creative Shot mode uses composition, color and lighting from your original image to create unique images with an artistic flair.
- Hybrid Auto records quick video clips before each still and compiles them together to make a short highlight reel.
- 3.0-inch tilt, capacitive touch panel LCD helps provide flexibility.
- Capture stunning 1080p Full HD video with a dedicated movie button.
Complete specifications and feature list after the break.
|Type||Compact digital still camera|
|Sensor||Type: 12.1 Megapixel, 1/1.7-inch CMOS
Total Pixels: Approx. 13.3 Megapixels
Effective Pixels: Approx. 12.1 Megapixels
|Lens||Focal Length: Main: 5.2 (W) – 26.0 (T) mm (35mm film equivalent: 24-120mm)
Digital Zoom: 4.0x
|Focusing Range||Main – Auto/Normal: 2.0 in. (5cm) – infinity (W), 12.0in. (30cm) – infinity (T); Macro: 1.2 in. – 1.6 ft. (3-50cm) (W)|
|Autofocus System||TTL Autofocus, Manual Focus|
|LCD Screen||LCD Monitor: 3.0-inch Tilt, Capacitive Touch Panel LCD
LCD Pixels: Approx. 922,000 dots
LCD Coverage: Approx. 100%
|Maximum Aperture||f/1.8 (W), f/5.7 (T)|
|Shutter Speed||Shutter Speed 1-1/2000 sec.
15-1 sec. (Shooting long exposures)
|ISO Sensitivity||Auto, ISO 80-6400|
|Light Metering Method||Evaluative, Center-weighted average, Spot|
|Exposure Control Method||Manual Exposure, Program Shift, Safety Shift, AE Lock|
|Exposure Compensation||Still Images: ±2 stops in 1/3-stop increments
Videos: ±2 stops in 1/3-stop increments (not available during shooting)
|White Balance Control||Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Custom, Multi-area White Balance|
|Built-in Flash||Auto, Flash On, Slow Synchro, Flash Off|
|Flash Range||1.6 ft. – 23 ft. (W), 1.6 – 7.5 ft. (T) (50cm – 7.0m (W), (50cm – 2.3m (T))|
|Recycling Time||10 sec. or less (battery voltage: 3.7 V)|
|Shooting Modes||Auto, Hybrid Auto, P, Dual Capture, Creative Shot, Portrait, Face Self-timer, Handheld Night Scene, Fisheye Effect, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Background Defocus, Monochrome, Super Vivid, Poster Effect, Snow, Fireworks, Long Shutter, iFrame Movie|
|Photo Effects||My Colors Off, Vivid, Neutral, Sepia, Black & White, Positive Film, Lighter Skin Tone, Darker Skin Tone, Vivid Blue, Vivid Green, Vivid Red, Custom Color|
|Self-Timer||Approx. 10-sec. delay/approx. 2-sec. delay/custom|
|Wireless Control||Not Available|
|Continuous Shooting||Normal: Approx. TBA shots/sec. (in P mode)|
|Storage Media||SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card, SDXC Memory Card|
|File Format||Design rule for Camera File system, DPOF (Version 1.1) compliant|
|Image Compression||Superfine / Fine|
|JPEG Compression Mode||Still Image: Exif. 2.3 (JPEG)
Video: MP4 (Image: H.264; Audio: MPEG-4 AAC-LC (Stereo))
|Number of Recording Pixels Stills||16:9 – Large: 4000 x 2248; Medium 1: 2816 x 1584; Medium 2: 1920 x 1080; Small: 640 x 360
3:2 – Large: 4000 x 2664; Medium 1: 2816 x 1880; Medium 2: 2048 x 1368; Small: 640 x 424
4:3 – Large: 4000 x 3000; Medium 1: 2816 x 2112; Medium 2: 2048 x 1536; Small: 640 x 480
1:1 – Large: 2992 x 2992; Medium 1: 2112 x 2112; Medium 2: 1536 x 1536; Small: 480 x 480
|Number of Recording Pixels Videos||Full HD 1920 x 1280: 30 fps (29.97)
iFrame Movie 1920 x 1280: 30 fps (29.97)
HD 1280 x 720: 30 fps (29.97)
Miniature Effect HD 1280 x 720: 6 fps / 3 fps / 1.5 fps
Miniature Effect 640 x 480: 6 fps / 3 fps / 1.5 fps
640 x 480: 30 fps (29.97)
|Playback Modes File Stills & Videos||Auto Rotate (Automatic vertical/horizontal detection), Image Advance (Transition Effects, Scroll Display), Rotate, Favorites, Smart Shuffle, Group Playback, Slideshow (Repeat, Interval, Effect)|
|Playback Modes File Stills||Single, Index (6-100 thumbnails), Magnification (2-10x), Information Display, Red-eye Correction, i-Contrast, Resize, My Colors, Histogram, Overexposure Warning|
|Playback Modes File Videos||Normal Playback, Skip Backward, Previous Frame, Next Frame, Skip Forward|
|Erase Mode||Select Image, Select Range, Select All Images|
|Video Out||NTSC/PAL (dedicated connector (female) with unified type of digital, audio and video); HDMI connector (D-type)|
|Audio Out||Stereo (dedicated connector (female) with unified type of digital, audio and video)|
|Other||SD memory card slot; direct connection to Canon SELPHY, PIXMA Photo Printers & PictBridge compatible printers|
|Battery||Battery Pack NB-12L|
|AC Adapter||AC Adapter Kit ACK-100|
|Shooting Capacity||Approx. 330shots
Approx. 460shots in ECO Mode
|Playback Time||Approx. 6hours|
|Dimensions (WxHxD)||4.11 x 2.66 x 1.41″ (104.5 x 67.5 x 35.8mm)|
|Weight||10.2 oz (289g)|