Imaging resource reviewed the Canon PowerShot SX50 HS. The cam features a whooping 50x zoom, equivalent to 24-1200mm, and Canon’s Intelligent IS optical image stabilization technology. The reviewer
was extremely happy with the quality of the 12-megapixel images I took with the Canon SX50 HS, especially those I captured at ISO 400 and below. For the most part, the photos — even at full 50x zoom — were pretty sharp and dynamic.
In the conclusion they write:
In most ways the Canon SX50 HS proved to be the long-reaching camera I had longed to use for capturing images of Spring Training baseball. And I strongly suspect it would be as perfect for shooting daytime travel, street, architecture, landscape and wildlife photography as it was for capturing the sights and action of a sunny ballgame.
It was also an equally impressive travel companion in terms of its size, simplicity to use and shooting flexibility. […] The Canon SX50 HS proved to have ample image quality and advanced features to make it a great second or travel camera for serious shooters, and plenty of flexibility to make it a great primary camera for beginning and casual photographers.
The review comes with many sample shots, test charts etc. Specifications (taken from Adorama’s product page):
- World’s first 50x Optical Zoom (24-1200mm) and 24mm Wide-Angle lens with Optical Image Stabilizer delivers magnificent images whether you are up close or far away
- 12.1 Megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor combined with a DIGIC 5 Image Processor creates the Canon HS SYSTEM for improved low-light performance up to ISO 6400 and enhanced image quality
- Capture stunning 1080p Full HD video in stereo sound with a dedicated movie button; zoom while shooting and play back videos on an HDTV via the HDMI output
- High Speed AF greatly improves focus speed and High-Speed Burst HQ allows for continuous capture at a maximum of 10 frames while maintaining superb image quality
- Intelligent IS automatically chooses from six different modes to optimize image stabilization for the shooting condition
- Bright 2.8-inch Vari-angle LCD with 461,000 dots for shooting at a variety of angles, plus an Electronic Viewfinder
- Smart AUTO intelligently selects the proper camera settings based on 58 predefined shooting situations and the Face ID function adjusts focus and exposure priority based on pre-registered faces
- Full range of shooting and recording modes including RAW+JPEG for the ultimate creative control
- Built-in hot shoe allows compatibility with optional Speedlite flashes for additional lighting options