The sensor specialists at DxOMark tested the imaging sensor of the Canon EOS R8. EOS…
Canon RF 24mm f/1.8 Macro IS Review (versatile lens, fairly strong macro performance)
Here is a brand new Canon RF 24mm f/1.8 Macro IS review.
At a glance:
- RF-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
- Aperture Range: f/1.8 to f/22
- One UD Element, One Aspherical Element
- Super Spectra Coating
- STM Stepping AF Motor
- 1:2 Max. Magnification, 5.5″ Min. Focus
- Optical Image Stabilizer
- Customizable Control Ring
- Rounded 9-Blade Diaphragm
Dustin Abbott posted his exhaustive Canon RF 24mm f/1.8 Macro IS review. From his conclusion:
I didn’t love the Canon RF 35mm F1.8 Macro IS when I reviewed it, and while the RF 24mm F1.8 Macro IS STM is similar in so many ways, I actually feel more positive about it. Yes, it has way too much distortion and vignette, but it also nice and strong in a lot of different areas, including delivering a fairly strong macro performance.
What really stands out is the versatility of a lens like this. You can do a LOT of different photography with a lens like this, from up close work, to walk around and street, to landscape and environmental portraits.
The RF 24mm is not going to compete with L series lenses optically, but I also found that images had a fairly good pop to them and I generally liked the look of them other than shots where the bokeh got a little busy. Some people love the 24mm focal length, and if that describes you, then the Canon RF 24mm F1.8 Macro IS STM is a lens that will probably become a favorite even if also sports a few flaws.Read the full review at Dustin Abbott’s…
As usual, Dustin Abbott’s reviews come with a large set of test photos, sample pictures, and test charts and then some more. For those inclined to watch a review, the video below with the full review might the right choice.
Canon RF 24mm f/1.8 Macro IS:
America: B&H Photo, Adorama, Amazon USA, Amazon Canada, Canon Canada, Canon USA
Europe & UK: Amazon DE, Amazon UK, Amazon IT, Wex Photo Video, Canon DE, Canon UK
Broad Views, Close-Up Details
Mixing a broad field of view with a close-focusing design, the Canon RF 24mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM is a unique combination of an ultra-wide focal length and a macro lens. Pairing these two attributes, this lens enables shooting at close-range while maintaining a broad sense of space and increased depth of field compared to conventional telephoto macro optics.
Wide-Angle Macro Lens
- Wide-angle prime is suitable for a variety of subjects, including landscapes, nature, and street, and the close-focusing ability helps to home in on nearby subjects in between photographing broad spaces.
- Macro designation offers a 1:2 half life-size maximum magnification and a minimum focusing distance of 5.5″.
- Bright f/1.8 design offers both depth of field control and suits working in a variety of lighting situations.
- One UD (ultra-low dispersion) element and one aspherical element control both chromatic and spherical aberrations for well-corrected imagery that is especially sharp and color-accurate.
- Super Spectra coating has been applied to resist flare and ghosting for improved contrast and color fidelity when working in strong lighting conditions.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a smooth, pleasing bokeh quality.
Autofocus, IS, and Design
- STM stepping motor offers fast, quiet, smooth, and accurate autofocus performance that benefits both stills and video recording needs.
- Optical Image Stabilizer minimizes the appearance of camera shake by up to 5 stops, or 6.5 stops with coordinated IS, to better enable working handheld in low-light conditions and with slower shutter speeds.
- Configurable Control Ring can be used to adjust a variety of exposure settings, including aperture, ISO, and exposure compensation.