A patent does neither mean that a company is actively working on the described product, nor it is a warranty we’ll ever see the described product. However, here is another patent for a STM lens for APS-C DSLRs filed by Canon.
The patent refers to a EF-S 18-100mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens,. 18-100mm is a sonewhat unusual focal range, even more if you consider that Canon has the excellent EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM on offer.
- Patent Publication No. 2016-1224
- Published 2016.1.7
- Filing date 2014.6.11
- Focal length 18.59 47.22 94.99
- F-number 3.60 4.92 5.88
- Half angle of view (degrees) 36.31 16.14 8.18
- Image height 13.66 13.66 13.66
- The total lens length 137.78 158.04 178.30
- BF 35.39 52.79 64.61