Another interesting Canon patent that may point to a future product. Canon filed a patent for a lens-style camera, i.e. a camera build into a lens system, and to use with your smartphone. Sony made such a smartphone attachable lens-style camera with the Sony DSC-QX100.
There are a few interesting things in the patent description. According to the patent literature, it should be possible to create 3D images by using the smartphone camera and the lens-system together. This requires a precise positioning of the lens-style camera. A marker system is provided for this purpose. To correctly place the lens-style camera, you have to shot the marker painted on the lens-style camera with the smartphone camera, as shown in the image below.
- Patent Publication No. 2016-10133
- Published 2016.1.18
- Filing date 2014.6.26
- Canon patent
- The first device having a camera function (101 smartphone of)
- The second device having a camera function (102 lens-style camera)
- The second unit (102 lens-style camera) is provided with a retractable mechanism
- Equipped with a marker that represents the collapsed position
- The first device (101 Smartphone of) is to shoot so as to include a marker
- Depending on the tip position of the collapsed, to get the mounting position to the first device of the second unit (102 lens-style camera) (101 smartphone of)