Edit: it’s not the first time Canon uses a translucent mirror technology (thanks JOKJOK).
Looks like a patent for a technology similar to Sony’s translucent mirror. The aim is to use the on-sensor auto-focus (think Dual Pixel AF) while using the optical view-finder. Intriguing. Canon is always doing research and I like it.
Patent description (machine translated):
- Patent Publication No. 2014-202780
- Published 2014.10.27
- Filing date 2013.4.1
- Canon patent of
- Half mirror transmittance of the variable for each region
- The center of the screen AF
- Phase difference AF
- Half mirror center only transmission of
- Half mirror around is reflected, and guided to the OVF
- Screen around the AF
- Contrast AF
- Selected regions of the half-mirror that portion of the transmittance, reflection otherwise
What do you think, did I get the patent right?[via Egami ]