Specialised site Photons To Photos posted their Canon EOS R8 dynamic range test results. EOS…
Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS Review (highly recommended)
Here is a Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS review. The RF 100mm Macro is one of the recently released lenses for the EOS R system.
At a glance:
- RF-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
- 1.4x Magnification with Autofocus
- Aperture Range: f/2.8 to f/32
- Minimum Focusing Distance: 10.2″
- Super Spectra Coating
- Smooth and Quiet Auto Focus
- Optical Image Stabilization; Hybrid IS
- Control Ring for Direct Setting Changes
- 9-Blade Diaphragm
- Weather-Sealed Construction
Photography Blog posted their exhaustive Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS review. They seem to be rather fond of the lens. They gave the lens a “highly recommended” and a 4.5/5 rating. From their conclusion:
The Canon RF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM is a superb macro lens boasting class-leading magnification, outstanding sharpness, impeccable build quality and a unique Spherical Aberration Control ring.
It delivers outstanding sharpness at both the centre and edges of the frame throughout most of its aperture range, even performing brilliantly when shooting wide-open at f/2.8.
There’s some vignetting which requires you to stop down by at least 2 f-stops to prevent it completely, but there’s little evidence of chromatic aberrations. Distortion is very well controlled even when shooting in the RAW format when the camera body doesn’t apply any automatic corrections.
More coverage of this very interesting lens is listed here.
Preorders in USA are open at $1,399: B&H Photo | Adorama. If you are based in UK we recommend Park Cameras. More worldwide preorders:
America: B&H Photo, Adorama, Amazon USA, Amazon Canada, Canon Canada, Canon USA
Europe & UK: Amazon DE, Amazon UK, Amazon IT, Wex Photo Video, Canon DE, Canon UK
Engineered specifically for full-frame EOS R-series cameras, the RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens from Canon combines a medium-telephoto field of view with a sleek design and close-focusing performance. Designed for close-up imagery, this autofocus lens is an ideal choice for portraits and macro subjects. Featuring a fixed 100mm focal length, a bright f/2.8 maximum aperture, fast, highly-precise autofocus, and a spherical aberration control ring, this lens elevates the look of portraits and macro shots and gives you the ability to create dreamlike and romantic images with a soft focus look. Its close focus design enables working with subject matter as close as 10.2″ away, and a Super Spectra coating minimizes ghosting and flare when working in strong lighting conditions. The lens also features optical image stabilization, along with Hybrid IS, to suppress up to five stops of camera shake for cleaner, steadier shooting, and imagemakers can expect to see stunning results that enhance their creative and artistic vision.
- Medium telephoto macro lens with a maximum magnification of 1.4x
- High image quality and bright f/2.8 aperture
- Optical Image Stabilizer with up to 5 stops of shake correction
- Up to 8 stops of shake correction with coordinated Optical Image Stabilizer and In-Body Image Stabilizer
- Hybrid IS system compensates for angular and shift camera shake during macro shooting
- Super Spectra coating to minimize ghosting and flare when working in strong lighting conditions
- Spherical Aberration Control Ring allows for adjustments to shape and character of foreground and background bokeh
- High speed, smooth, and quiet auto focus with Dual Nano USM
- Control ring for direct setting changes
- Sealed against dust and moisture for working in inclement environmental conditions
- Optional rotating tripod collar is available and benefits working with the lens atop a tripod or monopod