We featured a video showing the impressing 30fps on the Canon EOS R3. Now, listen…
Canon announced the Nifty Fifty for the EOS R last week, and here is a Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 STM hands-on review.
Photographer Irene Rudnyk tested the Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 STM in the field and compares it with what likely is the top lens for the EOS R system, the RF 50mm f/1.2L (one of the boutique lenses). Please note that images and video were captured on a pre-production model of the Canon RF 50mm f/1.8.
With a price tag of $199 this little lens will sell like hot cakes.
Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 STM key features:
- RF-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
- Aperture Range: f/1.8 to f/22
- One Aspherical Element
- Super Spectra Coating
Compact, lightweight, and close-focusing, the RF 35mm f/1.8 IS Macro STM from an essential lens, the Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 STM is a sleek normal-length prime offering a classic, versatile field of view and an especially compact design. An ideal lens for every day, walkaround shooting, this 50mm f/1.8 is characterized by its bright design for available light shooting and apt depth of field control. The optical design incorporates one aspherical element, which reduces spherical aberrations and distortion, and also sports a Super Spectra coating to minimize flare and ghosting for improved contrast and color accuracy. Also, an STM motor affords impressively quiet and smooth autofocus performance and full-time manual focus override. Additionally, a configurable Control Ring lets you adjust exposure settings, including ISO, aperture, and exposure compensation, from the lens itself.
- Normal-length prime is designed for use with full-frame Canon RF-mount mirrorless digital cameras.
- Bright f/1.8 maximum aperture suits working in difficult lighting conditions and also offers increased control over depth of field.
- One precision-molded (PMo) aspherical element suppresses spherical aberrations and distortion for high sharpness and accurate subject rendering.
- Super Spectra coating has been applied to individual elements to minimize ghosting and flare for greater contrast and color neutrality when working in strong lighting conditions.
- STM stepping motor offers fast, quiet, smooth, and accurate autofocus performance that is ideal for video recording as well as still shooting.
- Configurable Control Ring can be used to adjust a variety of exposure settings, including aperture, ISO, and exposure compensation.
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality.