Here is a Canon patent application for a new EVF (Electronic ViewFinder) for a mirrorless camera. Folded optics are employed.
Canon patent application 2020-95073A (Japan) discusses a new kind of Electronic Viewfinder featuring folded optics, a technology used for smartphone camera lenses and everywhere you want to have an optical path that’s longer than the size of the system. Prismatic binoculars being a good example.
The EVF in the patent literature uses polarized surfaces to maximize reflection. We think this patent might go into production, sooner or later. The patent application was spotted by Hi Lows Note.
More Canon patent applications are listed here. Some particularly interesting patent applications we think might get into production are these:
- A 8mm f/4 circular fisheye lens for the Canon EOS R system
- A battery grip that works with differently siszed cameras
- A 100-400mm f/5.5-7.1 lens for APS-C cameras. EOS M or DSLR?
- RF 17-70mm lens for EOS R system
- IBIS coming to the EOS M and PowerShot lineup?
- Patent Application: mirrorless camera with large display and virtual control wheel
- Patent Application: IBIS and Lens IS Working Together
- Patent application for high speed mirror movement and control
- Patent application for an RF 14-28mm f/2 lens
- Patent application for an RF 50mm f/1.8 lens
- Patent application for a smart lens cap
- Patent application for celestial auto-focus
- Patent application describing a Pop-Up Flash With LED
- Patent application describing the optical formula for a RF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS lens for EOS R systems
- Patent application describing how to improve burst rate by compressing raw files
- Patent application describing a new way to review photos from a sequential shot
- Patent application that describes technology to improve wireless communication while reducing power consumption
- Patent application to spot and reduce moire artefacts in image data
- Patent application for weather sealed lens adapter
- Patent application for AI powered predictive camera control system
- Patent application for 18-55mm kit lens with LCD display
- Patent application to reduce noise in image files