Here is a somehow different Canon patent. Different, because it refers to an imaging sensor standard Canon does not implement, that’s 4/3.
Canon patent application 2020191458 (Japan) discusses optical formulas for a 16-160mm f/2-4 lens for a 4/3 imaging sensor.
PROBLEM TO BE SOLVED: To obtain a zoom lens having high optical performance and an image pickup apparatus having the same while suppressing the increase in size of the entire optical system due to the increase in size of the image pickup element.
There is a demand for a lens having a high magnification ratio while being compact in an imaging optical system used in an imaging device such as a surveillance camera, a network camera, or a video camera using a solid-state image sensor.
In recent years, with the rapid expansion of the surveillance camera market, various demands for lenses for surveillance cameras have been raised. For example, there is a demand for miniaturization from the viewpoint of installability and inconspicuousness, and a demand for high definition and high sensitivity from the viewpoint of using surveillance video data as court evidence.
- Focal length: 16.47-160.13
- F value: 2.27-4.12
- Half angle of view: 33.30-3.87
- Image height: 10.82
- Overall length: 146.48
- Back focus: 5.35
More Canon patent applications are listed here. Some particularly interesting patent applications we think might get into production are these:
- Automatic shutter silencing based on subject and distance
- A bunch of prime lenses for the RF mount
- An improved Electronic Viewfinder
- Patent application for RF 50mm F1.4 and an RF 35mm f/1.4 lenses
- A zoom lens that might be for an EOS R with APS-C sensor
- A smaller IBIS unit.
- A cooling adapter for the RF mount (R5 overheating?)
- A bunch of macro lenses for the RF mount.
- A 8mm f/4 circular fisheye lens for the Canon EOS R system
- A battery grip that works with differently siszed cameras
- A 100-400mm f/5.5-7.1 lens for APS-C cameras. EOS M or DSLR?
- RF 17-70mm lens for EOS R system
- IBIS coming to the EOS M and PowerShot lineup?
- Patent Application: mirrorless camera with large display and virtual control wheel
- Patent Application: IBIS and Lens IS Working Together
- Patent application for high speed mirror movement and control
- Patent application for an RF 14-28mm f/2 lens
- Patent application for an RF 50mm f/1.8 lens
- Patent application for a smart lens cap
- Patent application for celestial auto-focus
- Patent application describing a Pop-Up Flash With LED
- Patent application describing the optical formula for a RF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS lens for EOS R systems
- Patent application describing how to improve burst rate by compressing raw files
- Patent application describing a new way to review photos from a sequential shot
- Patent application that describes technology to improve wireless communication while reducing power consumption
- Patent application to spot and reduce moire artefacts in image data
- Patent application for weather sealed lens adapter
- Patent application for AI powered predictive camera control system
- Patent application for 18-55mm kit lens with LCD display
- Patent application to reduce noise in image files