It seems the rumors about the Canon EOS R1 got the usual shift in expectations.…
I got a small new EOS 6D Mark II rumor (thanks).
I have been told that Canon may well feature a tiltable display on the upcoming Canon EOS 6D Mark II (see yesterday’s rumor). I rate this rumor only CW2, for the following reason. The EOS 6D Mark II will be as much oriented to the video folks as its predecessor is. That is: very little. The EOS 6D is mainly a still camera (albeit having video features) and so will be the EOS 6D Mark II.
A tiltable display doesn’t make that much sense on a DSLR which is thought for still photography rather than for serious video work. However, in the past there was a rumor suggesting the EOS 6D Mark II may feature a tiltable display. The same rumor was also suggesting that the EOS 6D Mark II (and EOS 5D Mark IV) will sport Dual Pixel AF. So far no rumors have suggested this possibility. It’s a question I am particularly curious about: will Canon feature Dual Pixel AF on the 6D Mark II?
The Dual Pixel AF question is less obvious than you may think. For the time being, and excluding Canon’s Cinema cameras, only two Canon DSLR have Dual Pixel AF on board, the Canon EOS 70D and the EOS 7D Mark II. Canon isn’t putting DPAF in every new DSLR, as many of us thought they would. It seems that DPAF is not a technology Canon considers the to be the right one for any camera. The EOS M3 didn’t get it, to our all surprise.
What do you think?
About our rumor rating:
- CW1 – probably fake rumor, not reliable (less than 15% chance to be real)
- CW2 – rumor from an unknown/new source, but otherwise at least a plausible rumor (20%-40% chance to be real)
- CW3 – around 50% chance to be real, coming from a known source, or from new source with good insight in Canon’s business
- CW4 – rumor from a known source that was right in the past, high probability to be true (60%-80% chance to be real)
- CW5 – as good as certain to be true