We got an interesting tip (thanks) about a Canon 8K camera with a Super 35mm…
It was already murmured that a Canon EOS 5Ds/5Ds R replacement might come in 2018. Now some specifications appeared as well. It’s suggested that the two current 5Ds models will become one, and that working prototypes of the EOS 5Ds R Mark II are already undergoing testing.
Let’s see the specifications:
- No low pass filter.
- All new 60.1mp image sensor.
- A new type of low megapixel mode.
- 4K video (video is not a big part of the cameras design).
- Identical body to the EOS 5D Mark IV.
- Focus peaking present, may appear first on another DSLR.
- Expect all the other features such as DPAF, Wifi, Touchscreen and GPS.
All in all a list of plausible specifications. That Canon will abbandon the 5Ds (with low pass filter) also makes sense. The EOS 5Ds R sold much better than its sibling with low pass filter.
The announcement may happen in Q3/Q4 2018, i.e. In over a year possibly. Take this with a grain of salt.