At a glance:
- Standard macro prime designed for APS-C-format Canon DSLRs, this lens offers a 56mm equivalent focal length.
- One glass-molded aspherical element is featured in the optical design to control spherical aberrations and deliver a high degree of sharpness and clarity.
- Maximum 1:1 magnification and a minimum focusing distance of 5.1″ permits making life-size imagery of close-up subjects.
- Built-in front-facing Macro Lite LED can be used to produce additional illumination to subjects when working at close distances. The light can be configured to illuminate only the right or left side, or both sides, and the brightness can be adjusted in order to produce greater visual depth and reduce shadows caused by the close proximity of the lens to the subject.
- Hybrid IS image stabilization minimizes the appearance of camera shake for sharper imagery when shooting handheld.
- Lead-screw-type STM stepping motor offers fast, quiet, smooth, and accurate autofocus performance that is ideal for video recording as well as still shooting.
- Full-time manual focus mode (AF+MF) lets you instantly switch to manual focus control in AF mode for making fine-tuned adjustments.
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm and bright f/2.8 maximum aperture help to render smooth and pleasing bokeh to benefit shallow depth of field imagery.
DPReview posted a set of 68 sample pictures shot with the Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM.