Canon got themselves a Fujitsu FX1000 Supercomputer System. Press release: Fujitsu to Deliver New FX1000…
In an interview with Nikkei, Canon CEO Fujio Mitarai gave some interesting insights in Canon’s future strategy.
Mirrorless Rumors summed up the interview:
- Canon will shift the camera business’s focus to corporate customers
- The market for digital cameras could shrink to about half in the next two years.
- Cameras sales have declined at around 10% a year in the past few years (combined with single lens reflex and mirrorless). The global market for interchangeable lens cameras is around 10 million, but decreased
- The mirrorless market share is growing, but it is a replacement with a single lens reflex, it is not adding to the market as a whole
- People usually shoot with smartphones. The digital camera market will keep falling for about 2 years, but professional and high amateur (advanced) amateurs use about 5 to 6 million units. Finally there I will hit the bottom