And yet another Canon EOS R7 review. This one comes with an eye on wildlife…
Here is a review of the inexpensive Canon RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 STM IS lens for the EOS R system. It seems the mechanical quality is the only good thing they found.
In absolute terms, it’s clearly a sub-standard lens. Its native characteristics range from good to downright terrible. The miserable vignetting and distortions have to be seen to be believed. Conversely, the resolution is actually pretty decent – which is a bit of a pity because you just won’t use this lens without auto-correction.
That’s being said – it is highly unlikely that you invest thousands into a high-megapixel camera and then just a few hundred on a cheap kit zoom lens. The pixel-level sharpness increases towards lower sensor resolutions and the vast majority of users have cameras featuring 20 to 30 megapixels (as of the time of this review). Within this context, the Canon RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 STM IS makes much more sense. The 24mm setting will still not be perfect here but it’s certainly usable.[…] the mechanical quality of the lens is pretty good for a kit zoom lens. The used materials are of high quality. The (extending-)inner lens tube is a bit wobbly though and this seems to be a theme across Canon consumer-grade Canon lenses. Read the review at Optical Limits…
Other reviewers have a less negative opinion about this lens. All Canon RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 STM IS reviews are listed here.
- RF-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
- STM Stepping AF Motor
- Center Macro Focus, 1:2 Magnification
- Optical Image Stabilizer
- Customizable Control Ring
- Rounded 7-Blade Diaphragm
Canon RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM Overview
Sleek and versatile, the Canon RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM is a well-rounded zoom covering wide-angle to short telephoto focal lengths to benefit working in a wide variety of conditions. A variable maximum aperture also helps to maintain an impressively compact profile to suit everyday shooting needs. Complementing the flexible design is a unique Center Macro Focus position, which enables working with close-up subjects at a 1:2 maximum magnification ratio, and an Optical Image Stabilizer also helps to achieve sharp imagery by minimizing the appearance of camera shake. Also, an STM motor affords impressively quiet and smooth autofocus performance and full-time manual focus override. Additionally, a configurable Control Ring lets you adjust exposure settings, including ISO, aperture, and exposure compensation, from the lens itself.
- Standard zoom covers wide-angle to short-telephoto focal lengths to suit working in a variety of situations.
- An Optical Image Stabilizer helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to five stops to better enable working in low-light conditions and with slower shutter speeds.
- STM stepping motor offers fast, quiet, smooth, and accurate autofocus performance that is ideal for video recording as well as still shooting.
- Specialized Center Macro Focus setting enables working with a 1:2 maximum magnification and a 5.2″ minimum focusing distance to suit photographing close-up subjects.
- Configurable Control Ring can be used to adjust a variety of exposure settings, including aperture, ISO, and exposure compensation.
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality.