Along with the leaked press release for the Canon EOS C70, there is another interesting…
Panasonix Lumix GH4
In the interview with Canon’s Mr. Masaya Maeda I featured yesterday, everyone but EOSHD overlooked a statement that could point to a soon-to-come announcement for a Canon 4k-enabled camera with interchangeable lenses. A camera to compete with the Sony a7S and Panasonic GH4.
First the answer we are talking about. When asked “How are you addressing the demand for compact, 4K-capable cameras like Sony’s a7S and Panasonic’s GH4?“, Mr. Maeda said:
Naturally I can’t give you details of our future plans but we are fully aware that such requirements exist in the market. We’re currently in the process of investigating, mainly to satisfy the needs of news media, and we have every intention of addressing this need in future products.
4k is rumoured to be on a new Canon DSLR since some time. Having every intention to address the needs of those in the news media business could mean two things: i) Canon is working hard and will deliver something that addresses the needs some time in the future, or ii) Canon has something under the wrap that will address these needs and is ready to announce it to the world.
EOSHD says that Mr. Maeda’s statement almost certainly means the 1D X Mark II will have 4K. A replacement for the EOS-1D X is indeed expected during 2015. EOSHD points to a new EOS-1D X since Mr. Maeda refers to the needs of news media, and the EOS-1D X definitely is the DSLR for news media. CanonRumors suggests a Canon 4k camera announcement for NAB 2015. However, since Mr. Maeda said Canon is in the process of investigating these needs, it is also possible that there will not be any 4k-related announcement by Canon any time soon.
- 16.05 MP Digital Live MOS Sensor
- DCI 4K 4096×2160 at 24p
- UHD 4K 3840×2160 at 30p/24p
- Full HD up to 60p
- 3.0″ 1,036k-Dot OLED Touchscreen Monitor
- 2,359K-Dot OLED Live View Finder
- Support for 59.94p, 23.98p, 50p, & 24p
- 4:2:2 8-Bit or 10-Bit HDMI Output
- High-Speed 49-Point Autofocus
- Magnesium Alloy, Weather-Sealed Body
For Sony a7S specs click here.
About our rumor rating:
- CW1 – probably fake rumor, not reliable
- CW2 – rumor from an unknown/new source, but otherwise at least a plausible rumor
- CW3 – a 50% chance to be real, coming from a known source, or from new source with good insight in Canon’s business
- CW4 – rumor from a known source that was right in the past, high probability to be true
- CW5 – as good as certain to be true