Fujifilm X-H1 at a glance:
- 24.3MP APS-C X-Trans CMOS III Sensor
- X-Processor Pro Engine
- 5-Axis In-Body Image Stabilization
- Internal DCI 4K Video and F-Log Gamma
- 0.75x 3.69m-Dot Electronic Viewfinder
- 3″ 1.04m-Dot 3-Way Tilt LCD Touchscreen
- 325-Point Intelligent Hybrid AF System
- 1080p at 120 fps; Flicker Reduction Mode
- 1.28″ Sub-LCD Top Screen
- Weather-Sealed Body; Two UHS-II SD Slots
Fujifilm launches new mirrorless digital camera X-H1, the highest performance camera in the X Series
Combining a robust, durable body with superior image quality and easy operation, the FUJIFILM X-H1 is the first camera in the series to include 5-axis 5.5 stops* in-body image stabilization (IBIS), and the new ETERNA Film Simulation feature, for outstanding video reproduction.
FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Kenji Sukeno) is delighted to announce the launch of the FUJIFILM X-H1, the highest performance mirrorless digital camera in the X Series known for its superior image quality created by Fujifilm’s proprietary color reproduction technology.
The X-H1, with a newly-designed robust and durable body, incorporates a range of extremely useful features that support shooting in various scenarios demanded by professional photographers and videographers. The X-H1 is the first X Series model to include the latest 5-axis in-body image stabilization (IBIS), which has a maximum of 5.5 stops*. The superior image quality with the memory color will be achieved in the various scenes in addition to easy operation. It is also mounted with the flicker reduction mode which enhances the quality of indoor sports photography. In addition, The X-H1 is the first camera in the X Series to include ETERNA mode, a new film simulation mode ideal for shooting movies.
The camera is also compatible with a range of other interchangeable lenses which are scheduled for release later this year. These include the MKX18-55mmT2.9 and MKX50-135mmT2.9 professional cinema lenses incorporating the X mount which are scheduled for release in May 2018. The XF200mmF2 R LM OIS WR, a wide aperture single-focus telephoto lens, and XF8-16mmF 2.8 R WR, designed to meet the needs of scenery or landscape photographers are also included, both of which are scheduled for release by the end of 2018. The new camera and lens combinations will provide outstanding image production and will be ideal for shooting a moving subject in sports photography.
1. 5.5 stops* in-body image stabilization (IBIS), a new feature realizing the high-quality photography of the X Series in various scenes.
The first internal in-body image stabilization (IBIS) system to feature in an X Series camera harnesses three axial accelerometers, three axial Gyro sensors, and a specially developed dual-processor. As a result, it realizes 5-axis image stabilization with all XF and XC lenses. In addition, it performs 5.5 stops image stabilization with XF 35mmF1.4 R lens, and 5 stops image stabilization with many other lenses**.
The following technical breakthroughs have been developed to support this high image stabilization performance:
- A laser measurement device is used during the process of manufacturing the image stabilization unit, controlling component flatness and position with twice the precision of standard components.
- The assembly process also includes inspection and adjustment of each individual camera to ensure that when image stabilization is used, the parallel position of the sensor is achieved with micro-order accuracy.
- In addition, a new spring mechanism has been included to reduce micro-vibrations caused by operation of the mechanical shutter.
- The photographer may also choose to use the electronic front curtain shutter or the electronic shutter, virtually eliminating the effect of vibrations to maximize the benefits of image stabilization.
The X-H1 is mounted with the APS-C size X-Trans™ CMOS III*** sensor (24.30 million pixels, without low-pass filter) and the high-speed image processing engine X-Processor Pro. This proprietary Fujifilm’s technology was first utilized in the FUJIFILM X-Pro2 and then FUJIFILM X-T2 cameras, receiving many awards globally. When used in combination with the extremely high-quality FUJINON lens, as well as its unique color reproduction technology, perfected through over 80 years experience in photographic film development, the X-H1 produces outstanding, unrivaled quality images with the memory color recording the finest details of the subject including its texture, three-dimensional structure and even the atmosphere and vibe of a particular scene.
- **Exception of XF10-24mmF4 R OIS, XF18-55mmF2.8-4 R LM OIS, XF55-200mmF3.5-4.8 R LM OIS, XC15-45mmF3.5-5.6 OIS PZ, XC16-50mmF.3.5-5.6 OIS II, XC50-230mmF4.5-6.7 OISII
- ***X-Trans is a trademark or registered trademark of FUJIFILM Corporation. The X-Trans CMOS III sensor uses a unique non-periodic filter array to reduce the appearance of moire patterns and false colors even without an optical low-pass filter.
2. Highly robust, durable body and easy operability results in comfortable shooting in various scenes
(1) In addition to the camera’s dust-resistant, water-resistant properties, and the ability to operate in temperatures down to -10°C, the camera also uses a 25% thicker magnesium alloy compared to the FUJIFILM X-T2. The structure for attaching the mount is modified, resulting in a more compact size and lighter weight body that maintains high precision and strong resistance to impact shock and other sources of deformation.
Higher granularity coating on the camera’s external surface provides a high-quality scratch-resistant coating with a surface hardness equivalent to 8H*4.
- *4The JIS Standard which indicates the scratch-resistant.
(2) The viewfinder is a high-magnification, high-precision electronic viewfinder. The magnification ratio of 0.75 times and the 3.69 million resolution is the highest class within mirrorless digital cameras. The viewfinder display is extraordinarily smooth, with a display time lag of just 0.005 seconds and a frame rate of 100 frames per second, allowing the photographer to instantly confirm the movement of the subject and position of the focus with great precision.
The rear LCD monitor is a 3-direction tilt, 3-inch, 1.04 million dot electrostatic touch-panel LCD which can be intuitively set to the desired angle. In addition, the 1.28 inch sub-LCD on the top of the camera, a current feature of the medium format FUJIFILM GFX 50S, allows for instant confirmation of shooting information.
(3) Improved operability with a total of 19 modifications based on feedback from professional photographers
- The camera uses a large-grip design with the new shape which allows a stable grip when holding the camera, and a leaf-spring switch for the shutter-release button to achieve easy operation of the shutter-release to ensure no opportunities are missed.
- The camera has the quietest shutter sound of all cameras in the X Series, making it an ideal tool for environments where quietness is required such as shooting animals in the wild, or at other quiet scenes such as weddings.
- A new AF-ON button has been added to the back of the camera. This makes it easier to operate the autofocus with the thumb, allowing the photographer to focus on using their index finger to operate the shutter-release button. In addition, other modifications have been made to improve operability, including the enlargement of the buttons on the rear of the camera and improvements to the grip of the front and rear command dials.
- The X-H1 also features focus lever that facilitates rapid, accurate movement to the desired focus point.
3. The first flicker reduction mode on an X Series camera and improved AF algorithms enhance shooting toughness
Flicker reduction modes are essential for indoor sports photography, and the X-H1 is the first X series camera which has this mode, allowing for stable exposure during burst shots even under fluorescent and mercury lighting.
In addition, improvements to the AF algorithm have achieved the following performance enhancements:
(1) The low-light limit for phase detection autofocus has been improved by approximately 1.5 stops from 0.5EV to -1.0EV, raising the precision and speed of autofocus in low-light environments.
(2) The range at minimum aperture has been expanded from F8 to F11. For example, even when using the XF100-400mmF4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR with the teleconverter XF2X TC WR, phase detection autofocus can now be used.
(3) Major improvements have been made to the AF-C performance while operating the zoom, which provides major benefits when shooting sports and other scenarios in which the subjects moves unpredictably.
(4) Finely-detailed surface textures of wild birds and wild animals can now be captured at high speed and with high precision as a result of improvement in phase detection autofocus.
4. Comprehensive range of video features to support movie production requirements
The X-H1 is the first camera in the X Series to include ETERNA mode, a new film simulation mode ideal for shooting movies. This mode simulates cinematic film, creating understated colors and rich shadow tones, greatly enhancing creative freedom during post-processing. The camera’s video image quality has been improved through the new ability to record a high bit rate of 200 Mbps. The camera includes a total of 20 functional and performance improvements including the 1080/120P high-speed video mode (1/2, 1/4 and 1/5 speed slow motion) for recording spectacular slow-motion footage, F-log*5 SD card recording which aids smooth workflow, a DCI 4K shooting mode (4096×2160), a 400% dynamic range setting (approximately 12 stops), 200 Mbps high bit rate recording, a high-sound quality internal microphone (24 bit/48 kHz) and verbal time codes.
- *5The color space is defined according to ITU-R BT.2020.
5. Separate accessories
(1)Vertical power boost grip VPB-XH1 Exclusive for the X-H1
- 1.Dust-resistant and water-resistant operates at temperatures of down to -10°C. Two batteries may be attached, with a third battery in the body of the camera increasing the maximum number of available shots in normal mode to approximately 900. In boost mode, multiple batteries can be used simultaneously, improving performance for burst shots and reducing the interval between shots, shutter time lag, and the blackout period.
In addition, the accessory also increases the maximum period for shooting movies in 4K to about 30 minutes, making the VPB-XH1 an essential accessory for maximizing the performance of the X-H1.
- 2.Controls include the shutter-release button, focus lever, AE-L button, AF-ON button, command dial, Q button, and Fn button, providing the same easy operation when using the camera in both the vertical and horizontal positions.
- 3.The VPB-XH1 is equipped with a headphone socket, allowing the operator to monitor sound while recording video.
- 4.The grip also includes recharging capability. The included AC adapter (AC-9VS) can be used to recharge two batteries simultaneously over approximately 2 hours.
(2) Wide-eye cup EC-XH-W Common for X Series and GFX cameras
The wide cup covers a broad area around the eye, greatly reducing light interference and enhancing concentration during long shoots.
The eye cup can also be rotated in 90° increments, making it adaptable for either the left eye or the right eye and for shooting in either vertical or horizontal position. Also, the antistatic coating reduces the adherence of dust.