Edit: decided to downrate the rumor to CW1. The message was not clear enough and honestly I think this is just a hoax.
I got a somewhat weird rumor today (thanks). The rumor suggests Canon is working on a 36MP full-frame monochrome sensor.
According to the source, the success of Leica’s monochrome cameras has influenced Canon and motivated the company to produce their own b&w full-frame sensor. The sensor, still according to the source, could be announced in the first week of July 2015.
The rest of the message is a bit confusing. I am not sure I’ve got everything correctly. The source names an “A7 body and FE lens mount” and that a “slimline lens mount adapter for Canon and Nikon” will be available for the rumored b&w, full-frame DSLR. The source never names a “Canon DSLR”, only a “Canon sensor”. Sounds like a Sony DSLR with a Canon sensor! Is this in the realm of possibilities? :-)
Well, this will not be the DSLR featuring the Canon 18MP sensor that’s rumored since a while. Canon making a monochrome full-frame DSLR doesn’t sound totally absurd to me. However, new source and big amount of salt. What do you think?
About our rumour rating:
- CW1 – probably fake rumor, not reliable (less than 15% chance to be real)
- CW2 – rumor from an unknown/new source, but otherwise at least a plausible rumor (15%-40% chance to be real)
- CW3 – around 50% chance to be real, coming from a known source, or from new source with good insight in Canon’s business
- CW4 – rumor from a known source that was right in the past, high probability to be true (60%-80% chance to be real)
- CW5 – as good as certain to be true