While the EF 35mm f/2 IS is the fastest focusing lens, the Sigma 35mm gets high appraisal (as in other reviews), not least for the build quality. Check the sample images for image quality. In the conclusion they write:
In our tests, we found Sigma’s lens to be best for what it is worth. Not only does it exhibit excellent image quality, but it also focuses fast enough and has a metal exterior. However, we have to say that the 35mm f2 IS seems like a better buy than the 35mm f1.4 L at the moment. The added value of IS plus a smaller package really make this lens worth the money. Where the 35mm f1.4 L takes the lead though is in bokeh rendering. It really is quite marvelous–especially when photographing a couple at a wedding.
[via The Phoblographer]
Simple but useful free app for your Android smartphone or tablet. With Canon on Flickr (click here to see it on Google Play) you can search and filter pictures on Flickr by selecting the Canon EOS camera of your choice.
Canon on Flickr is an Android app, targeted at Canon EOS camera users.
Because all cameras and lens yield a very different picture quality at different apertures, ISO speeds or focal lengths, all these Exif parameters can be viewed to help you learn to take good photos.
+ Filter Flickr photos by selecting different Canon EOS camera model.
+ Sort results by relevance,interestingness or date.
+ View detailed Exif info. like ISO speeds, aperture, shutter speed etc..
+ Zoom in / out of picture.
+ search on photo tags (keywords).
Update: Amazon, B&H and Adorama are offering rebates on Canon gear listed below.
New rebates on EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 6D and EOS 7D DSLRs and kits. Good thing, and good that the price jump of the EOS 5D Mark III didn’t last long. In the case you missed it, check what you can do with your EOS 5D Mark III when using the latest Magic Lantern hack.
The discounts will run through June 22. See the list below for savings and orders:
- Canon EOS 5D Mark III body – discount $200 – $3299 at B&H | Adorama | Amazon
- Canon EOS 5D Mark III with EF 24-105mm f/4L IS lens – discount $200 - $3899 at B&H | Adorama | Amazon
- Canon EOS 7D body – discount $200 - $1299 at B&H | Adorama | Amazon
- Canon EOS 7D with EF-S 18-135mm IS lens- discount $200 - $1599 at B&H | Adorama | Amazon
- Canon EOS 7D with EF 28-135mm IS lens – discount $200 - $1499 at B&H | Adorama | Amazon
- Canon EOS 6D body $1899 - discount $100 – $1899 at B&H | Adorama | Amazon
- Canon EOS 6D EF 24-105mm f/4L IS lens - discount $200 – $2399 at B&H | Adorama | Amazon
B&H started a discount program on selected Sigma lenses. The offer expires on June 17th. The lenses on rebate are:
- Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Autofocus Lens is $50 (10%) off, plus 2% reward and free shipping – $429 (click here) - for other mount types click here
- Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG OS Lens is $100 off (28%), plus 2% reward and free shipping – $259 (click here) - for other mount types click here
- Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Autofocus Lens is $100 off (20%), plus 2% reward and free shipping – $399 (click here) - for other mount types click here
Slight correction of the latest Canon EOS 70D rumor. It appears that the July announcement regards a brand new AF technology that Canon has developed. The new AF tech will first be featured on the Canon EOS 70D which is said to be announced immediately after the announcement of the AF technology.
Very interesting news, though there are no more tidbits about what makes up the new AF technology.
For the time being we are stuck with the EOS 70D spec list we posted back in April:
- 18mp Sensor (Same as SL1)
- DIGIC V
- SD Card
- 3.2″ Touchscreen LCD (No mention of swivel)
- Magnesium Alloy Construction
- Slightly larger than the EOS 60D
- $1199 USD Body Only
It appears that we are definitely close to the announcement of the EOS 70D. Excited?
- 12.1MP High-Sensitivity CMOS Sensor
- DIGIC 6 Image Processor
- 20x Optical Zoom Lens
- 35mm Focal Length Equivalent: 25-500mm
- 3.0″ LCD Monitor
- Full HD 1080p Video Capture at 60fps
- Built-in Wi-Fi Connectivity
- Intelligent Optical Image Stabilization
- Hybrid Auto Mode
- GPS Tracker
There’s plenty to like about the Canon SX280, but its standout feature has to be its excellent 20x optical zoom range accompanied by the well-performing digital zoom capability. Image stabilisation also does an excellent job of keeping images blur-free and making it easy to compose images too.
What we have here is an excellent and well performing compact camera that offers lots of flexibility both to beginner users and those looking for something a little more advanced.
It would also be a good camera for anybody looking to learn a little more about photography, since you could start on the fully automatic settings and work your way through the manual options.
The SX280 has a very good dynamic range: