Photography Bay posted a short hands-on about the new Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens, initial thoughts and sample photos inlcuded. The conclusion nails it:
If you are a Canon shooter and you don’t have a 50mm lens in your bag, the new EF 50mm f/1.8 STM is the next lens you should buy. It’s useful enough and affordable enough that everyone should consider picking one up.
EF 50mm f/1.8 STM specifications (taken from Adorama’s product page):
- Compact, Lightweight Fixed Focal Length Lens: ideal for everyday photos, and with a large f/1.8 aperture, a perfect lens for low-light photography and creative background blur.
- 80mm effective focal-length: when attached to an APS-C camera optimal for portraits and photos of fast moving subjects such as children and pets.
- A stepping motor (Gear-type STM): supports the Movie Servo AF function in providing smooth and quiet continuous AF during video recording, as well as when shooting photos.
- Improved exterior design: includes new focus ring placement making it the most compact Canon 50mm lens.
- Metal mount: helps provide stability and ruggedness.
- Optimized lens placement and coatings: help deliver outstanding color balance, while minimizing ghosting and flare.
- Circular aperture (7 blades): helps deliver beautiful, soft backgrounds. h
- Minimum focusing distance: of 14in (0.35m); maximum magnification of 0.21x