Guess this is something we might get used to: reviews of firmware updates. Here is…
For once we feature a review of an EF optics, and not of an RF lens. The Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II.
Coming from Christopher Frost Photography, the 9 minutes video below examines the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II lens for both full frame and APS-C cameras. Some sample pictures are included. Says the reviewer:
I would never buy a 70-200mm f/4 lens – I like to shoot at brighter apertures – but I still love using them, they’re great fun. Is this most recent of Canon’s one of the best ever made?
Of course it is!
- EF-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
- Aperture Range: f/4 to f/32
- One Fluorite Element and Two UD Elements
- Super Spectra Coating
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II:
America: B&H Photo, Adorama, Amazon USA, Amazon CA, KEH Camera, BestBuy, Canon CA, Canon USA
Europe & UK: Amazon DE, Amazon UK, Amazon FR, Amazon IT, Wex Photo Video, Park Cameras, Canon DE, Canon UK, Canon IT, Canon FR
Mixing a relatively compact, lightweight form factor with updated stabilization and performance, the EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II USM from Canon is an impressively versatile telephoto zoom. Well-suited for a range of subjects, from events to portraiture to sports, this zoom is characterized by its constant f/4 maximum aperture to strike a balance between consistent performance and portability. Its optical design includes a pair of UD elements and one fluorite element to greatly reduce chromatic aberrations and color fringing. This optimized design, along with a Super Spectra coating, also helps to control flare and ghosting for greater contrast and color accuracy when working in harsh lighting and backlit conditions.
Version II of this popular lens also sees the inclusion of a revised Optical Image Stabilizer, which now compensates for five stops of camera shake and offers three distinct stabilization modes to suit different shooting applications. A ring-type USM and internal focusing mechanism also afford quick, quiet, and accurate autofocus performance, as well as full-time manual focus override. Additionally, this lens is weather-sealed for use in trying environmental conditions.
- Versatile telephoto zoom is designed for full-frame Canon EF-mount DSLRs however, it can also be used with APS-C models where it provides a 112-320mm equivalent focal length range.
- Constant f/4 maximum aperture affords consistent performance throughout the zoom range and also contributes to the relatively lightweight design and compact form factor.
- One fluorite element and two ultra-low dispersion glass elements noticeably reduce color fringing and chromatic aberrations for high clarity and color fidelity.
- Super Spectra coating has been applied to individual elements to minimize ghosting and flare for greater contrast and color neutrality when working in strong lighting conditions.
- An Optical Image Stabilizer helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to five shutter speed stops to better enable working in low-light conditions and with slower shutter speeds. Additionally, three dedicated image stabilization modes are available (Standard, During Exposure Only, and Panning) and can be selectively employed to suit a variety of types of shooting.
- A ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM), along with an internal focusing system, is employed to deliver fast, precise, and quiet autofocus performance as well as full-time manual focus override.
- Focus Limiter switch lets you constrain the focusing to two different ranges to suit different applications: 3.3′-infinity or 9.8′-infinity.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing out of focus quality that benefits the use of shallow depth of field and selective focus techniques.
- As a member of the esteemed L-series, this lens is sealed against dust and moisture for working in inclement environmental conditions.
- Optional AII(WII) Tripod Mount Ring is available and benefits working with the lens atop a tripod or monopod.
- Compatible with optional EF 1.4X and EF 2X teleconverters.