- 18MP APS-C CMOS Sensor
- EF-S 18-55mm IS II Lens Included
- Digic 4 Image Processor
- Full HD 1080p Video
- 3″ LCD Screen
- 100-6400 ISO
- 9-Point Autofocus System
- 3 fps Continuous Shooting
- Scene Intelligent Auto Mode
- Compatible with Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Rebel T5/EOS 1200D first impression at techradar
Canon press release:
The New, Easy-To-Use Canon EOS Rebel T5 Digital SLR Camera Provides Photographers with High Image Quality and Full HD Video Capture
Ideal for Entry-level Digital SLR Users, the New EOS Rebel T5 Digital SLR Camera Helps Users Confidently Capture Outstanding Still and Video Images
MELVILLE, N.Y., February 11, 2014 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today introduced the EOS Rebel T5 Digital SLR Camera – the latest model in the company’s popular EOS Rebel lineup. The new camera provides entry-level photographers with an affordable way to take their imaging skills to the next level. Incorporating an 18.0 megapixel CMOS (APS-C) image sensor and a high-performance DIGIC 4 image processor, the EOS Rebel T5 camera delivers improved functionality with the speed and high quality needed to create impressive images – even in low light.
The new EOS Rebel T5 Digital SLR camera offers users an extensive ISO range of 100-6400 (expandable to 12800) to accommodate shooting situations from bright, natural outdoor lighting to dimly lit indoor settings. The camera can also automatically lock-in on moving subjects with ease using the EOS Rebel T5 camera’s nine-point AF system (including one center cross-type AF point). With help from the AI Servo AF, users can benefit from the camera’s outstanding autofocus capabilities. The new EOS Rebel T5 camera also offers a continuous shooting mode of up-to three frames per second (fps) to help photographers capture the action at children’s activities, sporting events and more. Images can then be easily viewed on the camera’s large three-inch LCD monitor.
“The EOS Rebel T5 camera is designed for entry-level DSLR photographers looking to expand their creative options and advance their photography skills,” said Yuichi Ishizuka, executive vice president and general manager, Imaging Technologies & Communications Group, Canon U.S.A. “The improved functionality of this new EOS Rebel camera will help them do just that as it intelligently guides users on how to pinpoint their perfect shot and capture high-quality images and videos worth sharing.”
Photo enthusiasts can capture high-quality images that are true-to-life in color, sharpness and contrast with the EOS Rebel T5 camera’s 18.0 megapixel CMOS (APS-C) image sensor and DIGIC 4 image processor. Shooting is also made easy thanks to the EOS Rebel T5 camera’s Intelligent Auto mode that helps deliver expertly optimized photos and offers improved scene detection, especially useful for shooting at night.
The Canon Rebel EOS Rebel T5 camera is also compatible with the full line of Canon EF and EF-S lenses as well as other accessories like the new Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX II. Ideal for close-up photography with EF Macro lenses, the Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX II supports E-TTL wireless autoflash in conjunction with one or more Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT flash units.
The camera’s Full HD Movie mode helps make shooting high-quality 1080p movies simple. Capable of shooting in a number of recording sizes and frame rates, the EOS Rebel T5 enables easy manual control of exposure, focus and Live View features, as well as in-camera editing.
The new EOS Rebel T5 camera offers a full creative feature set – providing a variety of effects and settings to enhance photographs and video. Whether adding contrast for a more dramatic effect or boosting exposure for additional brightness, Canon’s EOS Rebel T5 camera will guide users on how to hone their photo editing skills and view their original photographs from a new visual perspective. The camera features fun, creative filters including Toy Camera, Fisheye and Miniature Effect enabling photographers to expand their creativity.
The EOS lineup is known for its easy-to-operate, intuitive camera models that deliver high-quality images. Canon’s latest DSLR camera offers advanced imaging features such as Basic+ and Creative Auto to direct entry-level photo enthusiasts through making camera setting adjustments. The camera’s built-in Feature Guide offers short descriptions of shooting modes, setting and effects for easy operation no matter what the shooting situation. This function is designed to guide and educate first-time users on the EOS camera settings, and will also intelligently provide recommendations while shooting in certain settings.
The Canon EOS Rebel T5 Digital SLR Camera bundled with an EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II lens is scheduled to be available in March for an estimated retail price of $549.99.
Product description and full specs after the break.
The Canon EOS Rebel T5 DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm IS II Lens is an 18MP APS-C format DSLR camera with a DIGIC 4 image processor. It is paired with the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II lens, giving you a range of wide-angle to standard focal lengths.
The combination of the T5’s CMOS sensor and DIGIC 4 image processor provide high clarity, a wide tonal range, and natural color reproduction. With an ISO range of 100-6400 (expandable to 12800), you can shoot in low-light situations, reducing the need for a tripod or a flash. The nine-point autofocus system includes one center cross-type AF point to deliver accurate focus in both landscape and portrait orientations.
You can capture Full HD 1080p video by way of the T5’s dedicated Live View/Movie Recording button, at 30, 25, or 24 fps. Additionally, the camera can also record HD video in 720p at 60 and 50 fps, and 480p at 30 and 35 fps.
The 3″ rear LCD screen has 460,000 pixels, and a 170° viewing angle, making it ideal for menu navigation, composing in Live View, and reviewing or sharing your photos and videos.
The Rebel T5 is compatible with the full line of Canon EF and EF-S lenses, and is paired here with the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II lens. This lens offers wide-angle to standard focal lengths, with a 35mm equivalency of 29-88mm. It is a versatile lens that can focus as close as 9.8″.
The lens features Canon’s Optical Image Stabilization technology, which provides up to four stops of compensation for image blur caused by camera shake and slow shutter speeds. This helps to get clear, crisp images, even in low light situations. Aberrations are minimized thanks to an aspherical lens element, and a circular aperture renders pleasing out-of-focus areas.
- 18.0 Megapixel CMOS Sensor and DIGIC 4 Image Processor
- High resolution, low-noise imaging, and fast performance speed, including 3 fps continuous shooting, is provided by the combination of the Canon DIGIC 4 Image Processor and 18MP CMOS sensor.
- Full HD Video
- Choose between 1080p, 720p, and 480p HD video, with various fps options. The T5 also has a Video Snapshot feature that captures short clips of 2, 4, or 8 seconds, and combines them into a video highlights clip.
- Scene Intelligent Auto Mode
- Scene Intelligent Auto Mode analyzes images, and chooses the correct exposure and enhancements to optimize the scene in your photo.
- Feature Guide
- The Feature Guide displays simple descriptions of various modes and functions. It is helpful when trying to determine what mode or function to use in your current situation.
- 3.0 fps Continuous Shooting
- Shoot 3.0 frames per second for approximately 69 JPEGs or 6 RAW files.
- 9-Point AF System and AI Servo AF
- The 9-point AF system uses both normal and high-precision focus, depending on the aperture and available light in any given situation. An AI Servo AF system maintains consistent focus when shooting moving subjects.
- Creative Filters
- Choose from 5 creative filters to alter your images: Grainy B/W, Soft Focus, Fisheye Effect, Miniature Effect, and Toy Camera Effect.
- Shooting Modes
- There are 8 Basic Zone modes to choose when shooting:
- Scene Intelligent Auto (program AE, non-shiftable)
- Flash Off
- Creative Auto
- Night Portrait
- Basic+ and Creative Auto
- Basic+ allows you to change the ambiance or scene type, while Creative Auto displays shooting guides on the LCD screen explaining how to make changes to exposure, tone, sharpness, and more.
- GPS Compatible
- With the use of an optional GP-E2 GPS Receiver attached to the hot shoe or digital terminal, the T5 can record your location, latitude, longitude, and altitude. An electronic compass will record your camera’s orientation during each shot, and world time information is also recorded through GPS syncing.
Lens Mount Canon EF Camera Format APS-C (1.6x Crop Factor) Pixels Actual: 18.7 Megapixel
Effective: 18.0 Megapixel
Max Resolution 17.9MP: 5184 x 3456 Aspect Ratio 3:2 Sensor Type / Size CMOS, 22.3 x 14.9 mm File Formats Still Images: JPEG, RAW
Movies: H.264, MOV
Audio: Linear PCM
Dust Reduction System Yes Memory Card Type SD
Focus Control Focus Type Auto & Manual Focus Mode Automatic (A), Continuous-servo AF (C), Manual Focus (M) , Single-servo AF (S) Autofocus Points 9, 1 cross-type Flash Flash Modes FE Lock
Built-in Flash Yes Guide No. 30.2′ (9.2 m) ISO100 Flash Compensation -2 EV to +2 EV (in 1/3 or 1/2 EV steps) External Flash Connection Hot Shoe Power Battery 1x LP-E10 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery Pack AC Power Adapter ACK-E10 (Optional) Operating/Storage Temperature Operating
32 to 104°F (0 to 40°C)
Humidity: 0 – 85%
Physical Dimensions (WxHxD) 5.1 x 3.9 x 3.1″ / 13.0 x 9.9 x 7.9 cm Approximately Weight 15.3 oz / 434 g Body Only