Here is a Canon RF 16mm F2.8 STM review in video format. This seems to…
Canon RF 70-200mm f/4L IS Review (fantastic sharpness and image quality)
Here is a new Canon RF 70-200mm f/4L IS review. This is a very interesting and rather affordable lens, and it is getting some pretty good reviews.
Canon RF 70-200mm f/4L IS at a glance:
- RF-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
- Aperture Range: f/4 to f/32
- Four Ultra-Low Dispersion Elements
- Air Sphere and Fluorine Coatings
- Dual Nano USM AF System
- Optical Image Stabilizer
- Customizable Control Ring
- Weather-Sealed Construction
How does this lens perform, and how does it compare to its faster sibling, the Canon RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS (which is also heavier and bulkier)? Photography Blog posted their exhaustive Canon RF 70-200mm f/4L IS review. From the conclusion:
[…] this is arguably the 70-200mm zoom that the majority of Canon EOS R-series camera owners should buy – it’s literally a better fit for the smaller R-series bodies than the F2.8, whilst costing considerably less.[…] It offers fantastic sharpness and image quality at the centre and edges of the frame throughout both the zoom and aperture ranges, from the widest aperture of F4 to the longest telephoto length of 200mm.[…] Auto-focusing proved to be very quick, accurate and reliable on the Canon EOS R6 camera that we tested the lens with, while the very effective optical image stabilisation system that’s worth up to 5-stops on its own worked even better when paired with the R6.
Compared to the DSLR version of this lens […] the new RF 70-200mm F4 is shorter thanks to its retractable design and because you have to use an adapter with the EF version. It also offers even better image quality, a muchRead the review at Photography Blog…
The final rating by Photography Blog is “highly recommended” and a 4.5/5 score. Here is another Canon RF 70-200mm f/4L IS review.
Canon RF 70-200mm f/4L IS:
America: B&H Photo, Adorama, Amazon USA, Amazon Canada, Canon Canada, Canon USA
Europe & UK: Amazon DE, Amazon UK, Amazon IT, Wex Photo Video, Canon DE, Canon UK
Canon RF 70-200mm f/4L IS description after the break.
Popular for its reach and flexibility, the Canon RF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM is a fresh take on this well-regarded focal length, featuring an impressively sleek and lightweight form factor perfect for their full-frame mirrorless cameras. The constant f/4 maximum aperture strikes a balance between being bright enough for available light shooting while also contributing to the especially portable, handholdable design. Complementing this is an apt Optical Image Stabilizer, which compensates for up to 5 stops of camera shake, or up to an impressive 7.5 stops of shake correction when paired with an EOS R-type body with IBIS.
Optically, this lens incorporates four UD elements, which suppress a variety of aberrations throughout the zoom range for high clarity, and an Air Sphere Coating is also featured to reduce flare and ghosting. Balancing the distinguished optical system is a Dual Nano USM focus system, which delivers fast, nearly silent autofocus performance with full-time manual focus override. Additionally, this 70-200mm is weather-sealed and has a fluorine coating to protect the front and rear elements.
- Versatile telephoto zoom lens is designed for use with full-frame Canon RF-mount mirrorless cameras.
- Constant f/4 maximum aperture affords consistent performance throughout the zoom range and also contributes to the relatively lightweight design and compact form factor.
- Four UD (Ultra-Low Dispersion) elements help to minimize chromatic aberrations and color fringing in order to provide greater clarity and color accuracy.
- An Air Sphere Coating (ASC) has been applied to lens elements to reduce backlit flaring and ghosting for maintained light transmission and high contrast in strong lighting conditions.
- An Optical Image Stabilizer helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by 5 stops to better enable working in low-light conditions and with slower shutter speeds. Also, when working with select cameras, up to 7.5 stops of stabilization may be available with the Coordinated Optical Image Stabilizer and In-Body Image Stabilizer.
- Dual Nano USM system utilizes both a ring type USM and an STM mechanism to realize quick and accurate focusing that is also smooth and nearly silent to suit both photography and video applications. This focusing system also affords full-time manual focus control when working in the one-shot AF mode.
- Configurable Control Ring can be used to adjust a variety of exposure settings, including aperture, ISO, and exposure compensation.
- Protective fluorine coating has been applied to the front and rear element to resist fingerprints and smudges and to make cleaning these elements significantly easier.
- As a member of the esteemed L-series, this lens has a weather-resistant design that protects against dust and moisture to enable its use in inclement conditions.