It seems it might be a matter of a few weeks until the Canon EOS…
Yet another Canon full frame mirrorless camera rumor.
It’s suggested Canon is developing two prosumer grade, full frame mirrorless cameras. One more pro-oriented than the other. According to the rumor, Canon will first announce the pro-oriented mirrorless camera, then, after 6 or 8 months, the camera that’s supposed to be less feature rich.
The EF mount rumor is also back. It’s rumored Canon may have a “really nice solution for EF lenses on the full frame mirrorless body”, which does neither suggest it will or will not have an EF mount nor if an adapter is on Canon’s agenda.
All in all nothing new. Besides all the murmuring and rumor-recycling, we know very little about Canon’s full frame mirrorless camera. All tidbits we collected and were told in the past are listed here. Please note that none of the following has been confirmed to us so far:
- Dedicated full frame CMOS sensor
- Different sources and sites were reporting that early prototypes exist, at least to be tested inside Canon’s labs. This intel came in 2016 and early 2017.
- Canon is possibly working on a full-frame mirrorless camera with EF mount. There have been rumors saying that Canon is delaying this camera because of issues in implementing the EF mount. There is a lot of talk about this. If Canon manages to engineer a full-frame mirrorless camera with EF mount, thus allowing us to use our beloved EF lenses on a smaller and hopefully performing body, it will be a winner. Imagine what you could do with a MILC that goes along with your EF lenses. There is a serious chance we may see this.
- The latest bit of info I got suggests Canon will announce a full-frame mirrorless camera with a sensor having a resolution of 36-38MP.
- Announcement may come for Photokina 2018 (September), or later in 2019 Q1.
At the end of the day, there is just one thing we can be sure about: Canon is set to announce a full frame mirrorless camera within a year. Here at CW we know since a while and reported it. Even Sony’s CEO said that Canon will announce a FF mirrorless before Q1 2019.
All Canon full frame mirrorless rumors are listed here.[via CR]