A well known rumors mill came up with an interesting rumor. AI coming to be…
I have been told (thanks) that Canon will announce two versions of the EOS 5D Mark III successor: the EOS 5D Mark IV and the EOS 5D Mark IVc. The former will be a “straight” update to the EOS 5D Mark III, the latter will be more video oriented, and it will feature 4k (while the Mark IV will not).
The source suggests that the 5D Mark IVc will have a lower resolution sensor than the 5D Mark IV, and that some of the technologies featured on Canon’s Cinema cameras will be sported on the 5D Mark IVc. The source also mentioned that the 5D Mark IVc will have the dual-channel readout of the EOS C300 Mark II (this rumor was already floating around the web).
I have some new specs to report. The source stated that the 5D Mark IVc will have
- 61 point AF system
- ISO 100-204.800
- 4k video (source says Canon has yet to define the frame rate)
- Dual Pixel AF III
- Many advanced video features
- Features taken from Canon’s Cinema cameras
An interesting point: the source stated that Canon has yet to mark the frame rate for 4k video recording on the 5D Mark IVc. Apparently there are some heat issues with the frame rates Canon wants to deliver, which could be due to firmware problems.
The “straight” 5D Mark IV may have the following specs;
- 28MP sensor
- Dual Pixel AF III
- New and more advanced AF system (compared to EOS 5D Mark III), apparently it will not be the same AF as the 5D Mark IVc (which sounds a bit weird to me)
- Anti-flickr technology (seen first on the EOS 7D Mark II)
- Crop mode (featured on the EOS 5Ds)
- ISO 100-204.800 (expandable to 409.600)
In general, expect many of the technologies Canon unveiled with their latest cameras to be featured on the EOS 5D Mark IV and 5D Mark IVc. Announcement of both cameras is expected between Summer and Fall 2015.
Stay tuned, and let me know what you think….
About our rumor rating:
- CW1 – probably fake rumor, not reliable (less than 15% chance to be real)
- CW2 – rumor from an unknown/new source, but otherwise at least a plausible rumor (20%-49% chance to be real)
- CW3 – around 50% chance to be real, coming from a known source, or from new source with good insight in Canon’s business
- CW4 – rumor from a known source that was right in the past, high probability to be true (60%-80% chance to be real)
- CW5 – as good as certain to be true