After having pulled the previous firmware update after a few days, Canon swiftly released another,…
[Pre-Order] Here It Is: Rebel T4i/EOS 650D Ready For Pre-Order (UPDATE: First Look Video)
Update: the first preview already showed up at DPreview: preview (click here), summary (click here), sample images (click here). Another hands-on at engadget (click here). More previews and hands-on: Rob Galbraith (click here), ephotozine (click here), c|net Australia (click here). A comparison with theRebel T3i/EOS 600D at photozine (click here).
Update: Canon’s Rebel T4i/650D press release
Ok, we are ready. The Rebel T4i/EOS 650D (and the EF 40mm f/2.8 pancake) can be pre-ordered at Adorama and B&H and Amazon US (
no pancake so far). See all the links below:
- Adorama: Rebel T4i/EOS 650D body only $849 (click here)
- Adorama: Rebel T4i/EOS 650D with 18-55 IS II $949 (click here)
- Adorama: Rebel T4i/EOS 650D with 18-135mm STM IS $1199 (click here)
- Adorama: EF 40mm f/2.8 STM pancake lens – $199, click here
- B&H: Rebel T4i/EOS 650D body only $849 (click here)
- B&H: Rebel T4i/EOS 650D with 18-55 IS II $949 (click here)
- B&H: Rebel T4i/EOS 650D with 18-135mm STM IS $1199 (click here)
- B&H: EF 40mm f/2.8 STM pancake lens $199, click here
- Amazon US: Rebel T4i/EOS 650D body only $849 (click here)
- Amazon US: Rebel T4i/EOS 650D with 18-55 IS II $949 (click here)
- Amazon US: Rebel T4i/EOS 650D with 18-135mm STM IS $1199 (click here)
- Amazon Germany:EOS 650D & EF-S 18-55 IS II for EUR 899,00 (click here)
- Amazon Germany: EOS 650D & EF-S 18-135mm STM IS for EUR 1.149,00 (click here)
- Amazon Germany: EOS 650D body only for EUR 799,00 (click here)
- Amazon Germany: EF-S 18-135mm STM IS for EUR 499,00 (click here)
- Amazon Japan: X6i/T4i/650D & 18-135mm STM IS for ￥ 129,800 (click here)
- Amazon Japan: X6i/T4i/650D & EF-S 18-55mm IS II & EF-S 55-250mm for ¥ 129,800 (click here)
- Amazon Japan: X6i/T4i/650D & EF-S 18-55mm IS II for ￥ 99,800 (click here)
- Amazon Japan: X6i/T4i/650D body only for ￥ 89,800 (click here)
- Amazon Japan: EF 40mm STM pancake for ￥ 20,530, click here
- Amazon Japan: EF-S 18-135mm STM IS for￥ 60,690, click here
Update: A first look video by whatdigitalcamera:
- STM Lens Support for Quiet AF in Movies
- 18.0MP APS-C CMOS Sensor
- DIGIC 5 Image Processor
- 3.0″ Vari-Angle Touch Screen LCD
- ISO 100-12800, Expandable to 25600
- Full HD Movie Mode with Continuous AF
- 5.0 FPS Continuous Shooting
- 9-Point All Cross-Type AF System
- Multi Shot Noise Reduction
- Compatible with Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
The Canon EOS Rebel T4i Digital Camera (Body Only) is an ideal camera for any level photographer; combining both high quality imaging power and a wealth of functions that enable you to create beautiful imagery with ease. This 18.0 megapixel DSLR features an APS-C-sized CMOS sensor and a DIGIC 5 image processor for fast operation and tremendous low light performance to an expanded ISO of 25600. A quickened 5.0fps continuous shooting ability and fast 9-point cross-type AF system are also supported by the performance of the DIGIC 5 processor. This combination of technologies also results in tremendous image quality with smooth color gradations and clarity for both images and videos.
Full HD 1080p video is supported and features a full-time Movie Servo AF system for continuous auto focusing while using live view to record movies. When using one of Canon’s STM lenses, ultra-quiet and smooth performance is possible for fluid HD movie making. Additionally full manual sound and exposure control is supported, giving you a wide range of controls for handling your videos. For monitoring of videos and still imaging, a 3.0″ Vari-angle touch screen LCD is incorporated and flips out and tilts for viewing from a wide variety of angles. The touch screen operation is highly intuitive and even allows you to control your focus points from the LCD.
The Scene Intelligent Auto Mode combines the essential auto modes with an intelligent EOS Scene Detection System to quickly and automatically determine the situation type you are working in and apply the necessary adjustments to render the scene correctly. Once the image has been captured, it will also apply enhancing techniques in order to improve skin tones and overall image coloration. Other creative modes include an HDR Backlight Control mode for improving the effective exposure value range of your image; a Handheld Night Scene mode which utilizes multi shot noise reduction techniques to give you improved low-light performance without the noise of high ISOs; and seven different creative filters to apply unique effects directly to your images in-camera.
The Rebel T4i is compatible with SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards and Canon’s full line of EF and EF-S lenses.
- STM Lens Support
- When using one of Canon’s STM lenses, Movie Servo AF will take full advantage of the stepping motor technology for smooth, quiet continuous auto focusing. This benefit is especially noticeable when recording HD video and proves to create a more fluid movie-making experience.
- 18.0 Megapixel APS-C CMOS Sensor
- The 18.0MP APS-C sensor provides high image quality and rich files exhibiting smooth color gradations. The maximum resolution affords plenty of room to make well-sized enlargements or crop into your images to focus on the details. The APS-C size sensor creates an effective 1.6x field of view when compared to full-frame 35mm format.
- DIGIC 5 Image Processor
- The DIGIC 5 image processor also helps to provide excellent image quality and high speed across the entire camera. This expedited processing helps to increase low-light sensitivity from ISO 100 to 12800 (and to an expanded ISO of 25600) while effectively reducing noise levels. The processor also supports 14-bit A/D conversion for richer, more vivid imagery.
- Enhanced EOS Full HD Movie Mode
- The T4i features full HD movie recording capabilities in the 1080/30p, 24p, 25p; 720/60p, 50p; and 480/30p, 25p formats. The Movie Servo AF system provides continuous autofocus tracking of moving subjects during filming and when using live view. Manual exposure control and audio level adjustment are also supported. Video Snapshot is a unique mode that captures short video clips and automatically combines them into one file, giving you a highlights album that requires no post-production or further editing.
- 3.0″ Vari-Angle Touch Screen Clear View LCD Monitor II
- This 3.0″ LCD monitor has a high resolution of 1,040,000-dots for high resolution monitoring and playback of your imagery. The Vari-angle capabilities allow this screen to flip out to the side then tilt up and down for use at a variety of angles, including front-facing for use with self-portraits. The touch screen functionality gives an intuitive experience when using this camera and even allows you to modify your focus positioning based on touch alone. The Clear View coating gives a great deal of clarity, even in bright sunlight, and is also smudge-resistant.
- 9-Point Cross-Type Autofocus System
- The 9-point cross type autofocus system provides quick and accurate results amongst all shooting modes. A high-precision dual-cross f/2.8 center point gives the greatest accuracy and is utilized in spot metering as well as average metering modes. The Hybrid CMOS AF system allows for high speed focusing during shooting when using live view.
- High Speed 5.0 fps Continuous Shooting
- The Rebel T4i is capable of capturing up to 5.0 full-resolution images per second when shooting in continuous modes. This speed ensures you won’t miss the shot when working in fast-paced environments such as sporting events.
- Multi Shot Noise Reduction
- Multi shot noise reduction improves low-light shooting by essentially overlaying multiple, separate exposures on top of one another to build the image density and preserve detail. This mode effectively simulates high ISO performance without the increase of noise that goes along with it.
- Scene Intelligent Auto Mode
- This intelligent mode combines numerous technologies (Picture Style Auto, Automatic Lighting Optimizer, Automatic White Balance, Autofocus, and Automatic Exposure) into one simple mode, allowing you to make optimal images with ease. The EOS Scene Detection system can automatically determine the shooting conditions you are in and apply these technologies to create the ideal exposure. The camera then further analyzes the resulting images and applies a series of enhancing features in order to better render colors and skin tones.
- Advanced Imaging Features
- Several image features allow you to manipulate the scenes in a variety of creative ways. Handheld Night Scene mode utilizes the multi shot noise reduction mode to allow you to shoot in low lighting without the necessity of a tripod. HDR Backlight Control mode emulates high dynamic range techniques and extends the visual parameters of the image to include more shadow and highlight details in the image. 7 different Creative Filters allow you to apply artistic effects directly to your images in-camera, including Art Bold Effect and Water Painting Effect.
- Lens Aberration Correction
- An automatic corrective system can be employed in order to help reduce the effects of different lens aberrations. If there is light falloff detected towards the edges of the frame, the camera will automatically correct for this by evening out the exposure. Additionally, a number of popular Canon lens’ data is pre-programmed into the camera so it can quickly and automatically register settings according to the lens you are using.
- Feature Guide
- A specific, helpful guide is integrated into the camera in order to help you learn about and determine which image settings to use and how they affect your imagery. This feature is enabled automatically, but can be disabled through the menu.
- GPS Compatible
- The Rebel T4i is compatible with the optional GP-E2 GPS receiver. When connected to the hot shoe or through the accessory terminal, the receiver is capable of recording locational data to the metadata of your files for plotting to maps and reviewing your journey at home.
- JPEG Resizing
- You can conveniently resize your JPEG images to smaller formats in-camera. Keeping with the same aspect ratio and without modifying the original image, a new, smaller image will be saved to your memory card for expedited online use.
- Photobook Setup
- You can intuitively sequence and specify your images in-camera for printing out into a photobook. Your editing will be copied to a separate folder, ready for printing once at a computer.
- Image Rating
- For more expedited navigation through your images, you can rate your images on a scale from 1 to 5. Once images have been rated and sorted, browsing is a much more fluent experience.
- SD, SDHC, SDXC Memory Card Compatibility
- The Rebel T4i is compatible with SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards, including Ultra High Speed (UHS-I) cards.
- Canon EF and EF-S Lens Compatibility
- This camera is compatible with the full line of Canon’s EF and EF-S lenses.