Along with the leaked press release for the Canon EOS C70, there is another interesting…
The highly underestimated Canon EOS M
I got new emails regarding a Canon mirrorless camera I think will be announced in 2015. I give this rumor a high plausibility to be true.
While these are new sources, at least one of them showed a good insight in Canon’s business. I am usually very conservative when it comes to publish the rumors that fill up my inbox. I decided to post because the emails are largely identical, covering similar aspects (as mentioned below).
What we can expect (it’s not much that leaked so far):
- Canon wants to go serious with mirrorless technology (Canon themselves confirmed it in a recent interview)
- The next M-system camera will sport the sensor of the EOS 70D – my take: though one of the sources stated it will be the 7D2 sensor, I believe Canon will go for the 70D sensor.
- Hence, it will have 20MP and the game changing Dual Pixel CMOS auto-focus.
- Canon is trying to miniaturise things as much as it is possible – expect a truly small and lightweight body
- Minimal physical controls – Canon will further optimise the already excellent touch interface introduced with the EOS M (and other DSLRs) – this is also necessary in order to keep the body size as small as possible
- There will be more EF-M lenses in 2015 – we have been told there will be two EF-M prime lenses coming before end of 2015 – no mention about the focal length. Personally I think at least one of them will be a 35mm pancake lens with at least f/2.8
- One source stated there will be an optional EVF (electronic viewfinder) – which I think is a reliable information. If it is true that Canon will try to make this MILC as small as possible no other viewfinder option is feasible.
- Announcement before Summer 2015
As usually, take everything with a grain of salt. The only thing I am pretty sure to be true is that Canon will announce a new mirrorless camera soon, and that it will be a cool piece of gear.
I also got mentions of a full-frame mirrorless camera Canon is rumored to be actively researching. Read about here.
Let me know what you think in the comment section.