Interesting Canon patent application. Various zoom lenses for the EOS R system are discussed, with one being particularly interesting since it seems to point to an APS-C EOS R.
Canon patent application (2020-170102, Japan) discusses optical formulas for zoom lenses for the Canon EOS R system. The patent literature discusses the following zoom lenses:
|Example 1||Example 2||Example 3|
|Half angle of view||41.50-17.30||41.80-10.30||41.80-11.80|
|Example 4||Example 5|
|Half angle of view||38.53-14.70||42.40-11.37|
As you can see from the table above, there are 24-70mm, 24-116mm, 24-100mm, 27.80mm, and, listed under “Example 5”, a 15-70mm f/4-7.1 zoom lens with an image height that doesn’t work for a full frame sensor on a mirrorless camera. However, the lens is based on the same design principles as the others, so it might be for an APS-C EOS R camera.
If you have a better understanding of the patent (or of Japanese), spotted by asobinet.com, please help me out on this. Is this really a lens for an EOS R camera with an APS-C sensor??
More Canon patent applications are listed here. Some particularly interesting patent applications we think might get into production are these:
- A cooling adapter for the RF mount (R5 overheating?)
- A bunch of macro lenses for the RF mount.
- A 8mm f/4 circular fisheye lens for the Canon EOS R system
- A battery grip that works with differently siszed cameras
- A 100-400mm f/5.5-7.1 lens for APS-C cameras. EOS M or DSLR?
- RF 17-70mm lens for EOS R system
- IBIS coming to the EOS M and PowerShot lineup?
- Patent Application: mirrorless camera with large display and virtual control wheel
- Patent Application: IBIS and Lens IS Working Together
- Patent application for high speed mirror movement and control
- Patent application for an RF 14-28mm f/2 lens
- Patent application for an RF 50mm f/1.8 lens
- Patent application for a smart lens cap
- Patent application for celestial auto-focus
- Patent application describing a Pop-Up Flash With LED
- Patent application describing the optical formula for a RF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS lens for EOS R systems
- Patent application describing how to improve burst rate by compressing raw files
- Patent application describing a new way to review photos from a sequential shot
- Patent application that describes technology to improve wireless communication while reducing power consumption
- Patent application to spot and reduce moire artefacts in image data
- Patent application for weather sealed lens adapter
- Patent application for AI powered predictive camera control system
- Patent application for 18-55mm kit lens with LCD display
- Patent application to reduce noise in image files