A Canon patent discussing optical formulas for two lenses for the Canon RF mount (EOS R).
Canon patent application 2020-79965A discusses optical formulas for a RF 24-70mm f/2 lens and a RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens.
RF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM
- Zoom ratio: 4.12
- Focal length: 24.72 50.92 101.84 mm
- F number: 4.12 4.12 4.12
- Half angle of view: 41.19 23.02 11.99
- Image height: 21.64 21.64 21.64 mm
- Lens length: 125.34 142.50 169.34 mm
- Back focus: 17.88 19.75 30.96 mm
RF 24-70mm f/2
- Zoom ratio: 2.75
- Focal length: 24.70 35.76 67.86 mm
- F number: 2.06 2.06 2.06
- Half angle of view: 41.22 31.18 17.68
- Image height: 21.64 21.64 21.64 mm
- Lens length: 152.24 158.86 179.82 mm
- Back focus: 12.93 19.69 30.66 mm
More Canon patent applications are listed here. Some particularly interesting patent applications we think might get into production are these:
- A 8mm f/4 circular fisheye lens for the Canon EOS R system
- A battery grip that works with differently siszed cameras
- A 100-400mm f/5.5-7.1 lens for APS-C cameras. EOS M or DSLR?
- RF 17-70mm lens for EOS R system
- IBIS coming to the EOS M and PowerShot lineup?
- Patent Application: mirrorless camera with large display and virtual control wheel
- Patent Application: IBIS and Lens IS Working Together
- Patent application for high speed mirror movement and control
- Patent application for an RF 14-28mm f/2 lens
- Patent application for an RF 50mm f/1.8 lens
- Patent application for a smart lens cap
- Patent application for celestial auto-focus
- Patent application describing a Pop-Up Flash With LED
- Patent application describing the optical formula for a RF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS lens for EOS R systems
- Patent application describing how to improve burst rate by compressing raw files
- Patent application describing a new way to review photos from a sequential shot
- Patent application that describes technology to improve wireless communication while reducing power consumption
- Patent application to spot and reduce moire artefacts in image data
- Patent application for weather sealed lens adapter
- Patent application for AI powered predictive camera control system
- Patent application for 18-55mm kit lens with LCD display
- Patent application to reduce noise in image files
Samyang announced the Samyang AF 85mm f/1.4 RF lens for the Canon RF mount.
The can be preordered for $699 at Adorama.
Samyang AF 85mm f/1.4 RF press release:
Samyang Introduces AF 85mm f/1.4 RF, Expanding their RF Series Lineup
May 29th 2020, Seoul, South Korea – Global optics brand Samyang Optics introduces the AF 85mm F1.4 RF, an autofocus portrait lens for RF mount cameras. This new lens delivers beautiful bokeh, outstanding image quality and reliable autofocusing. Along with the recently launched AF 14mm F2.8 RF, the new Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 RF opens a new door of options to Canon EOS R camera users.
Pioneering the Trend
Samyang has been one of the early birds in introducing compact and lightweight full frame mirrorless lenses for RF mount. A series of manual focus lenses was introduced, starting with manual focus 14mm and 85mm. Then, the world’s first autofocus 14mm lens for RF mount, AF 14mm F2.8 RF was presented in October 2019 and now, the new AF 85mm F1.4 RF is announced to meet the rising needs of photographers.
Main FeaturesOutstanding Image Quality
Samyang’s RF series is known for its outstanding image quality, since the AF 14mm F2.8 RF was awarded the prestigious TIPA award in 2020 as ‘best mirrorless prime wide-angle lens.’ The new AF 85mm RF also makes no compromise in image quality: A total of 11 elements in 8 groups, with 4 high-refractive (HR) optics and an extra low-dispersion (ED) lens, have been designed to create impressive image quality from corner to corner.
Smooth and Dreamy Bokeh
Exceptional bokeh is presented with the knowhow of Samyang’s optical design. The smooth bokeh adds depth and a three dimensional feeling to your portraits. 9 aperture blades provide natural, circular bokeh with a fantastic out-of-focus effect that is pleasing to the eye.
Bright F1.4 for Treasured Portraits
Shallow depth of focus smoothly blurs the background and highlights the story of the subject. The 85mm focal length, combined with the wide maximum aperture of f/1.4, enables photographers to achieve a dramatically shallow depth-of-field.
Accurate, Silent Autofocusing
The DLSM (Dual Linear Sonic Motor) works with ultrasonic vibrations, providing a silent autofocus performance. The accurate high frequency signals, controlled with Samyang’s own protocols, precisely operate the DLSM. Specialists in optics, mechanical engineering and electronics, have researched cooperatively to produce such effective results for a short telephoto lens. This allows you to capture unforgettable moments efficiently and silently.
Pioneering new territory, this lens is packed with features: Weather sealing protects the lens from dust, light rain and snow and provides the ability to capture stunning images in less than perfect conditions. Also, the AF/MF switch enables you to be in control and capture the finest details. You can enjoy the freedom of photographic expression, with all the latest functions.
Canon first released EOS Webcam Utility Beta for Windows, now a Mac OS version is also available. EOS Webcam Utility Beta is a free software that turns your Canon camera in an USB-connected webcam.
You Asked, Canon Delivers: The EOS Webcam Utility Beta Software* Now Available for macOS1 Users
MELVILLE, NY, May 27, 2020 – After tens of thousands of downloads and comments from Canon brand loyalists, the EOS Webcam Utility Beta software* has expanded, and is now available for macOS users. Unveiled today by Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, for select EOS Interchangeable Lens Cameras (ILC) and PowerShot cameras, this beta version solution converts a compatible Canon camera into a webcam through a simple USB connection. Users were heard through multiple Canon social media channels, customer comments and media inquiries.
Similar to the Windows operating system version released April 28, the new macOS compatible software solution requires one single USB plug (which may need to be purchased separately) to connect the compatible camera to the computer. Once the software is downloaded and the camera is configured within a video conferencing application, the user will have improved video appearance while participating in video conferencing and virtual meetings.
To learn more, including whether your Canon EOS ILC or PowerShot camera is compatible, and to download the EOS Webcam Utility Beta software for both macOS and Windows, visit Canon.us/eoswebcamutility.
If you’d like to ask questions or provide feedback pertaining to the EOS Webcam Utility Beta software for macOS, please visit our forum, Canon.us/forum-eoswebcamutilitymac.
Here is a very good Canon Rebel T7 deal, coming as kit with 2 lenses, a memory card, a camera bag and software for editing. A perfect starter kit.
Get the Canon Rebel T7 bundled with the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II and EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III lenses, EOS Shoulder Bag 200ES, a SanDisk 16GB memory card, and Paintshop Pro – the bundle on sale at $449.
Canon Rebel T7 deal description:
Providing everything needed to begin shooting, editing, and organizing photos, this Canon EOS Rebel T7 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm and 75-300mm Lenses Accessory Kit from B&H includes a compact, lightweight DSLR camera with a standard zoom lens, a telephoto zoom lens, and a shoulder bag. They are bundled with a memory card as well as photo management and editing software.
Canon EOS Rebel T7 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm and 75-300mm Lenses
Compact and capable, the Canon EOS Rebel T7 is a sleek entry-level DSLR featuring versatile imaging capabilities and a helpful feature-set. Incorporating a 24.1MP APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 4+ image processor, the T7 produces high-resolution stills with notable clarity, reduced noise, and a flexible native sensitivity range from ISO 100-6400 for working in a variety of lighting conditions. The sensor and processor also afford shooting continuously at up to 3 fps for photographing moving subjects, as well as Full HD 1080/30p video recording. Benefitting shooting with the optical viewfinder, a 9-point AF system incorporates a single center cross-type AF point for increased accuracy and focusing speed, and a contrast-detection focusing system offers refined autofocus precision when recording video or photographing in live view. The rear 3.0″ 920k-dot LCD offers a bright, clear image for playback and review, and built-in Wi-Fi with NFC also offers the ability to wirelessly share imagery from your camera to a linked mobile device for instant online sharing.
24.1MP APS-C CMOS Sensor and DIGIC 4+ Image Processor
At the heart of the Rebel T7 is an apt 24.1MP APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 4+ image processor, which combine to provide both speed throughout the camera system as well as notable image quality. Up to 3 fps shooting is possible to suit photographing moving subjects—for up to 150 consecutive JPEGs in a burst or up to 11 consecutive raw frames—and Full HD 1080p video at 30 fps can also be recorded. For working in a variety of lighting conditions, the sensitivity range of ISO 100-6400 can be further expanded to ISO 12800 to benefit photographing in low-light situations.
Samyang aka Rokinon announced a new lens for the Canon EF and EF-M mount, the Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 Series II.
- Canon EF/EF-M-Mount
- 136mm (35mm Equivalent)
- Aperture Range: f/1.4 to f/22
- One Hybrid Aspherical Element
Description Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 Series II for EF-M mount:
An apt telephoto prime for portraiture and other selective compositions, the Canon EF-M-mount Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 Series II Lens is characterized by its fast f/1.4 maximum aperture to suit working in low-light conditions and for controlling depth of field. The optical design incorporates one hybrid aspherical element that helps to reduce distortion and spherical aberrations for a high degree of sharpness and accurate rendering. An Ultra Multi-Coating has also been applied to reduce flare and ghosting in order to achieve greater contrast and color fidelity. The manual focus design permits working with subjects as close as 3.6′ away and a rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes a pleasing bokeh quality.
- Telephoto prime is designed for APS-C-format Canon EF-M-mount mirrorless cameras and provides a 136mm equivalent focal length.
- Fast f/1.4 maximum aperture offers a high degree of control over depth of field for working with selective focus and shallow depth of field techniques. Additionally, it also benefits working in low-light conditions with shorter shutter speeds.
- One hybrid aspherical element is featured in the optical design to control spherical aberrations for improved clarity and sharpness throughout the aperture range.
- An Ultra Multi-Coating has been applied to individual elements to minimize ghosting and flare for increased contrast and color neutrality when working in strong lighting conditions.
- Manual focus operation permits working with subjects as close as 3.6′ away and an internal focusing design maintains the overall lens length during use.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a smooth and pleasing bokeh quality.
- Weather-sealed design suits working in inclement weather conditions.