Canon releases the Q2 2021 financial results. As we already knew, things went better than…
At a glance:
- Canon EF-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
- Aperture Range: f/5 to f/40
- Three Low Dispersion Glass Elements
- eBAND, BBAR, and Fluorine Coatings
- Ultrasonic Silent Drive Autofocus Motor
- VC Image Stabilization
- FLEX ZOOM LOCK, Zoom Lock Switch
- Moisture-Resistant Construction
- Removable Arca-Type Tripod Mount
- Compatible with TAP-in Console
Dustin Abbott posted the first part of his Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DI VC USD G2 review. In this first part of the full review, he breaks down how Tamron has addressed most of the handling and design complaints from the first version of the lens in the G2 version.
More Tamron SP 150-600mm information after the break.
World acclaimed ultra-telephoto zoom reborn; meet the all-new next generation Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 (Model A022)
The SP 150-600mm G2 (Generation 2) ultra-telephoto lens with upgraded optical performance enables handheld shooting with remarkable definition. This new lens builds upon the success of the current SP 150-600mm (Model A011) which Tamron first introduced in December, 2013, including better overall optical performance and faster AF speed, VC enhancements, plus Euori1e Coal, g, FLEX ZOOM LOCK and tele converter.
Rebuilt from the ground up to meet Tamron’s strict quality standards and design specifications, this new zoom combines smart engineering and high performance with quality craftsmanship, durability and user friendliness.
Enhanced optics meet greater versatility
The SP 150-600mm G2 includes three LD (Low Dispersion) lens elements which completely eliminate axial and transverse chromatic aberrations. It also features upgraded optical construction (21 elements in 13 groups).
Anti-reflection technologies, eBAND (Extended Bandwidth and Angular- Dependency) Coating and BBAR (Broad-Band Anti-Reflection) Coating improve light transmission and suppress internal reflections, including light reflected off the camera’s image sensors. So even when taking a backlit or semi-backlit photograph, ghosting and flare caused by reflected light are fully eliminated.
Additional enhancements expand the lens’s versatility. For example, MOD (Minimum Object Distance) has been reduced to 2.2m (86.6 in) so you can enjoy tele-macro photography and dramatic bokeh.
Capture the moment with sharpness and accuracy
The Model A022 is equipped with a USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive) ring-type motor that delivers excellent responsiveness and control. AF speed is significantly improved from current model, and it enables accurate high-speed focus even when capturing moving subjects.
Keep it steady with improved VC
The VC (Vibration Compensation) effectiveness is equivalent to 4.5 stops, based on image stabilization performance levels established by CIPA (Camera and Imaging Products Association) when using in VC MODE 3. SP 150-600mm G2 has three types of VC modes.
· VC MODE 1 is the standard mode that strikes a great balance between the stability of the viewfinder image and the stabilization effects.
· VC MODE 2 is exclusively used for panning.
· VC MODE 3 prioritizes the stabilization of the captured images and forgoes the stabilization of the viewfinder image.
FLEX ZOOM LOCK mechanism enables zoom lock at any position
FLEX ZOOM LOCK mechanism quickly locks or unlocks the zoom at any position simply by sliding the zoom ring. Photographers can shoot from any angle without the zoom extending unintentionally. Additionally, the conventional Zoom Lock switch prevents unwanted barrel extension during transportation.
Protect your lens with Fluorine Coating and Moisture-Resistant Construction
The front surface of the lens element is coated with a protective fluorine compound that is water – and oil-repellant. The lens surface is easier to wipe clean and is less vulnerable to the damaging effects of dirt, dust, moisture and fingerprints.
For greater protection when shooting outdoors, leak-proof seals throughout the lens barrel help protect your equipment.
Compatible with the TAMRON TAP-in Console TM and two exclusive tele converters
The optional TAP-in Console provides a USB connection to your personal computer, enabling you to easily update your lens’s firmware as well as customize features including fine adjustments to the autofocus and VC. Two exclusive tele converters offering 1.4x and 2.Ox magnification have been designed to match the optics of the SP 150-600mm G2, providing a maximum zoom range up to 1200mm.
Tamron 150-600mm G2 Features
- Optical design enhanced to achieve even higher performance
- Tamron’s sophisticated eBAND Coating eliminates ghosting and flare
- MOD reduced to 7′ (1:3.9 max. mag. Ratio) to provide optimum tele-macro photography
- AF speed is faster and much more responsive with moving subjects
- VC performance is 4.5 stops (VC mode 3) and offers three modes optimized for different shooting situations
- New FLEX ZOOM LOOK mechanism: The new FLEX ZOOM LOCK mechanism quickly locks or unlocks the zoom at any position simply by sliding the zoom ring.
- Fluorine Coating and improved Moisture-Resistant Construction
- Lightweight and easy-to-hold tripod mount is compatible with an Arca-Swiss style quick release plate
- Arca-Swiss style removable tripod mount
- Compatible with TAMRON TAP-in Console, an optional accessory product
- Teleconverters (optional) designed exclusively for the new Tamron lens
This post might contain affiliate links. That means we will get a small fee if you make a purchase through the links, without any additional cost to you. Support Canon Watch! We love to bring you all the latest news about Canon and photography. If you buy your gear through our affiliate links you help this site going on.
STUFF YOU MIGHT WANT TO READ
Canon press release: Canon Adds Energy and New Perspectives to Renowned Explorers of Light Program…
Latest murmurings from the web of rumor mills has a new Canon EOS R3 sensor…
Canon pulled their booths from the Olympics but does (obviously) support professional photographers and their…