It’s a matter of days before Canon will announce the Canon EOS M6, Canon latest addition to the company’s mirrorless line-up.
No one saw the EOS M6 coming, and no features have leaked so far. However, I got some bits (thanks) and will now try to sum it up.
The Canon EOS M6 will most likely have a feature set very similar to the EOS M5, with the exception of the built-in EVF. I am pretty sure the EOS M6 will have no built-in EVF. The EOS M6 will have a 24MP sensor, which appears to be the new standard resolution for Canon’s APS-C cameras. We also got a suggested frame rate, which is said to be above or around 6fps.
Will the EOS M6 feature Dual Pixel Auto-Focus? I have been told it will, which seems to be something we can expect.
The rest if the specifications I got is too messed up to be replicated here. All I can be sure for now is that the EOS M6 will have an articulated touchscreen (similar or the same as the EOS M3.
Back to the features of the EOS M6. You can expect something between the EOS M3 and the EOS M5, i.e. more features than the EOS M3 and less than the EOS M5. However, to my knowledge the feature set of the EOS M6 will be closer to the EOS M5 than to the EOS M3.
This is the second mention of Dual Pixel AF to be featured on the upcoming EOS 77D, the replacement for the EOS 760D/Rebel T6s. Since this is the second mention and it’s coming from a different source, I upgraded the rumor to CW4.
Until now Canon never featured Dual Pixel AF on entry-level DSLRs, nor is Canon’s first tier AF system a standard feature on Canon DSLRs. The EOS 77D, given the moniker, seems to be lined up above Canon’s entry-level models. However, the EOS 77D might be the most entry-level Canon DSLR to get Dual Pixel AF.
The same source suggested the EOS 77D and the Rebel T7i will both have a 24MP sensor.
Announcement for this and other gear is coming soon. Stay tuned!
More detailed specifications of Tamron’s upcoming SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 lens leaked at Nokishita Camera.
Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 (machine translated specifications)
- Model A025
- Image stabilization effect for 5 steps which is best in class. Three correction modes including panning-only mode.
- Antifouling coat and dustproof and drip-proof construction adopted.
- Adopt electromagnetic diaphragm method for Nikon.
- Teleconverter compatible. TAP-in Console compatible.
- Lens construction: 17 groups 23 pieces
- Minimum shooting distance: 0.95 m
- Maximum shooting magnification: 1: 6.1
- Filter diameter: 77 mm
- Maximum diameter × length: 88 mm × 191.3 mm
- Weight: 1,485 g
- Mount: For Canon · For Nikon
- Suggested retail price: 175,000 yen + tax
- Mass retailer price: 159,300 yen (tax included)
Announcement of the Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 and the Tamron 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II VC HLD is expected for February 7th.
A prime lens for the Canon EOS M system was rumored since a while. I have been told (thanks) that Canon may announce an EF-M 32mm f/1.8 lens along with the EOS M6. This comes from a new source so I rate it CW2. However, it’s plausible and a focal length around 35mm is what we have been told in the past. For sure it would be a welcome addition for EOS M users.
As expected, Canon is going to announce two new DSLRs. And one of them is the EOS 77D. Still not clear if the EOS 77D will have Dual Pixel AF (as suggested by a rumor we got).
Nokishita Camera leaked some information:
- Canon EOS 77D
- Body · 18-55mm kit · 18-135mm IS USM kit
- SKU: 1892C001
- Product name in Japan is not confirmed
- Canon EOS Rebel T7i
- Body · 18-55mm kit · 18-135mm IS STM kit
- SKU: 1894C001
- Product name in Japan is unconfirmed (Kiss X9i?)
- Canon EF-S 18-55mm F/4-5.6 IS STM
- SKU: 1620C001
- Formal product name is unconfirmed (only focal length and F value and STM confirmed)
- Canon BR-E 1
- SKU: 2140C001
- Remote controller?