The Canon EOS R5C is a powerhouse, and has a powerful price. It's $4,500 and…
A report is going around claiming Canon is discontinuing lots of EF mount lenses in favor of upcoming RF lenses. We are not so sure about that.
According to Canon Rumors, Canon is set to discontinue many EF lenses and is planning to cease production of even more EF lenses. The list of EF lenses that allegedly have been or will soon be discontinued in 2021:
- Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 USM
- Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L USM II
- Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
- Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS US
- Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
- Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM
- Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
- Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 IS STM Macro
- Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
- Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM
- Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM II
- Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM
- Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L USM II
- Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
- Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM
- Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L USM
- Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM
- Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM II
- Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM
- Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS USM II
- Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS USM II
- Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM
That’s an impressing list. However, with a few exceptions most of the lenses listed above appear in stock and ready to ship at major retailers. Canon USA also lists most lenses as still available, and hasn’t released any communication regarding the discontinuation of EF lenses. PetaPixel contacted Canon about the issue but didn’t get any answer. It’s rather difficult if not impossible to verify the claim of Canon discontinuing all those EF lenses. So far there is only one source for this.
Should you be worried, or even alarmed? By no way. As we wrote above, most of the allegedly discontinued lenses are still available. Even if they get discontinued tomorrow, Canon would for sure still deliver assistance and service for long time. There is no doubt that EF mount lenses will eventually disappear in favor of Canon’s new RF mount standard. It just will not happen that soon.
Any idea about Canon discontinuing all those lenses?