Please note: the original post mentioned the EOS R6 Mark II, that was obviously nonsense…
We knew it was coming, and here it is: the new, entry-level Canon EOS R100.
At a glance:
- 24.1MP APS-C CMOS Sensor
- DIGIC 8 Image Processor
- 4K 24p Video with Crop, Full HD 60p
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF with 143 AF Zones
- 6.5 fps Electronic Shutter
- 2.36m-Dot OLED EVF
- 3″ 1.04m-Dot LCD Screen
- Creative Assist Mode
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth with SD Card Slot
Canon press release:
Canon Introduces its Most Affordable, Compact, and Lightweight EOS R Camera Ever: The EOS R100
The Company Also Announced the Wide-Angle “Pancake” Style RF28mm F2.8 STM Lens
MELVILLE, N.Y., May 24, 2023 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, is excited to announce the launch of the EOS R100 camera and RF28mm F2.8 STM lens, two new affordable, compact, and lightweight tools for entry-level and emerging content creators to elevate their skills.
The Canon EOS R100 camera was designed for new, first-time mirrorless camera or existing interchangeable camera users who previously enjoyed EOS Rebel or EOS M cameras. The camera touts key features such as a 24.2 megapixel APS-C size sensor, the DIGIC 8 image processor, 4K (Cropped) and Full HD (Full-Width) video at up to 24 and 60 frames-per-second respectively, Autofocus with eye and face detection, and Bluetooth™ and Wi-Fi® connectivity capabilities. For users who are making the EOS R100 their first interchangeable lens (ILC) camera, a significant advantage over using a smartphone camera will be lens selection. The EOS R100 is compatible with the complete lineup of RF and RF-S lenses, and EF and EF-S lenses can be utilized when using one of three available Canon EF-EOS R mount adapters (each sold separately). This selection of lenses includes the Canon RF28mm F2.8 STM lens, which was also announced today.
The Canon RF28mm F2.8 STM is a “pancake” style, value lens that targets a wide variety of users, from amateur to enthusiast Full-Frame and APS-C camera users. Key features of the new lens include:
- Minimum focusing distance of 9.1 inches (0.23m) and a maximum magnification of 0.17x
- Retracting feature that helps to shorten the overall length of the lens
- Circumferential manual focus mode/control ring selector
- Gear-type STM motor providing smooth autofocusing while capturing video
- Built-in Control Ring provides quick access to multiple camera controls
- 7-blade circular aperture helps to provide beautifully blurred background and bokeh
And finally, a review by Gordon Laing.