Some Canon EOS R3 documents leaked yesterday, including the press release we leaked first. asobinet.com…
I have been told (thanks) that Sony will indeed produce Canon’s upcoming high resolution sensor. The source presents this as a joint venture and patent exchange between Canon and Sony.
In other words, and according to the source, Canon and Sony will agree on a patent exchange to produce a 53MP sensor for Canon’s upcoming high resolution DSLRs. This sensor would keep the Exmor technology, and feature Canon’s Dual Pixel CMOS AF. The best of both worlds someone may say. Sony would still sell sensors to Nikon, but without the Dual Pixel AF (it is for sure not a problem for Sony to mass-produce slightly different lines of sensors).
Interesting rumor. All in all such a scenario is possible, since it would be of advantage for both companies. Canon already used a Sony sensor on the Powershot G7 X. And there have been rumors that Canon may sport a Sony sensor in future high-end DSLRs. Finally, Canon themselves stated in an interview that they will “select the best sensor, whoever the manufacturer is” (see the interview here).
What do you think? Let me know in the comment section…
About our rumor rating:
- CW1 – probably fake rumor, not reliable
- CW2 – rumor from an unknown/new source, but otherwise at least a plausible rumor
- CW3 – a 50% chance to be real, coming from a known source, or from new source with good insight in Canon’s business
- CW4 – rumor from a known source that was right in the past
- CW5 – as good as certain to be true