The Handevision IBELUX 40mm f/0.85 is the world’s fastest lens for your EOS M3 (and other mirrorless cameras), and it got another price drop, selling at $1,199 (B&H Photo | Amazon) after a $700 price drop from the regular price. Still not a budget lens but consider it goes f/0.85. On the EOS M3’s APS-C sensor the IBELUX 40mm f/0.85 becomes a 64mm. And it weighs as much as the Zeiss Otus 85mm.
LensRentals felt the pulse of the Handevision IBELUX 40mm f/0.85 and found that it outperforms the Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L in the center. Below is a short video-review of the IBELUX by Matt Granger (not on an EOS M). Canon Watch’s EOS M3 review is here.
- Canon EF-M Mount/APS-C Format
- 64mm (35mm Equivalent)
- Aperture Range: f/0.85 to f/22
- Concave Front Lens Element
- 250° Manual Focus Throw
- Ten-Blade Circular Diaphragm
- Metal Lens Barrel & Integrated Lens Hood
- Minimum Focus Distance: 2.5′
- Filter Thread: 67mm
Handevision IBELUX 40mm f/0.85 overview after the break.
Taken from B&H’s product page:
This HandeVision IBELUX 40mm f/0.85 Lens is specifically designed for Canon EF-M mount mirrorless digital cameras, where it provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length of 64mm. This manual focus prime lens is characterized by its exceptionally fast f/0.85 maximum aperture, which enables its use in a wide array of lighting conditions as well as provides extensive control over focus placement. The optical construction is comprised of 10 elements in 8 groups, including a concave front element that helps to reduce chromatic aberrations and maintains a central angle of incidence of 2.6° for sharp imaging and minimal distortion throughout the aperture range.
The physical construction of the lens is set in an all-metal lens barrel, in which anodized aluminum alloy, brass, and stainless steel are used. The manual focus ring rotates 250° to enable precise focus setting to distances as close as 2.5′. Additionally, a 10-blade diaphragm works to produce a circular aperture that contributes to an aesthetic out-of-focus quality to benefit selective focus and shallow depth of field techniques.
- Prime 40mm lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length of 64mm when used on APS-C image sensors.
- A fast, bright f/0.85 maximum aperture is well-suited to working in difficult lighting conditions as well as for controlling depth of field.
- Front concave lens element and sophisticated optical design helps to minimize chromatic aberrations and achieve notable sharpness.
- Manual focusing ring has a 250° focus throw, which enables precise positioning and critical refinement over focus placement.
- All-metal lens barrel incorporates a built-in lens hood to both protect the front lens element and reduce lens flare and ghosting.
- Ten-blade circular diaphragm produces an aesthetic out-of-focus quality that is pairs well with the fast maximum aperture.
Comparable 35mm Focal Length: 64 mm
|Camera Mount Type||Canon EF-M|
|Format Compatibility||Canon (APS-C)|
|Angle of View||41.3°|
|Minimum Focus Distance||2.46′ (75 cm)|
|Maximum Reproduction Ratio||1:20|
|Filter Thread||Front: 67 mm|
|Dimensions (DxL)||Approx. 2.91 x 5.04″ (74 x 128 mm)|
|Weight||2.65 lb (1.2 kg)|
|Package Weight||3.55 lb|
|Box Dimensions (LxWxH)||7.7 x 5.4 x 5.3″|