Nokishita posted what is likely the definitive list of new gear Canon is going to announce ahead of Photokina 2018, starting by next week.
- Canon EOS R (the full frame mirrorless camera)
- Canon EOS R with 24-105mm lens kit
- Canon RF 35mm F/1.8 M IS
- Canon RF 50mm F/1.2L USM
- Canon RF 28-70mm F/2L USM
- Canon RF 24-105mm F/4L USM
- Canon EF-M 32mm F/1.4 STM
- Canon EF 400 mm F/2.8L III
- Canon EF 600 mm F/4L III
- R adapter (please note: there may be three adapters. M.ADAP R, M.ADAP R ND, M.ADAP R PL. At the time being we are not sure what the different codes/names mean)
- PD – E1 is also included in the accessory list
As you can see, a pretty decent gear list, and a cool lens line-up. Good to know that Canon will start with some interesting lenses for their new system. The new Canon EOS R system is getting three L lenses from the beginning. Good move Canon!
Is the Canon RF 28-70mm F/2L a world’s first? And how big will this lens be? It has to be a massive piece of glass having f/2 for a FF sensor. I think it’s a very smart move by Canon to announce the Canon EOS R along with a 50mm f/1.2L, and with two classic zoom lenses for FF cameras, the afore mentioned RF 28-70mm F/2L and the RF 24-105mm F/4L. Not sure what the “M” in RF 35mm F/1.8 M IS means but a fast 35mm lens rounds up very well the initial R mount lens line-up.
The Canon EOS R was rumored to have IBIS (In Camera Image Stabilisation). I wonder if this still makes sense given that one lens appears to have image stabilisation (IS). However, IBIS is still an option I’d not exclude.
The Canon EOS R might obfuscate Nikon’s Z6 and Z7, alone for the initial lens offering. Add to this that most likely the Canon EOS R will shoot 4K video with Dual Pixel AF and you may see a real winner here.
I am also very happy that eventually Canon is releasing a fast prime for the EOS M system, the 32mm f/1.4. This was one needed and will be part of my EOS M kit asap.
Announcements will start on September 5, 2018. Exciting times ahead.