I might have mixed up some things, but...didn't we already knew that Canon would open…
Japanese business news site SankeiBiz reports that Nikon is working on a professional mirrorless camera with “rapid pace”. The announcement is expected before March 2019.
So what about Canon? Beside all the more or less reliable rumors, it appears that so far the most reliable intel came from Sony’s CEO, who months ago clearly said he believes that both Nikon and Canon are working on a full frame mirrorless camera. I guess the man knows what he is talking about.
Some rumor outlets are suggesting there may be a “development announcement” concerning a full frame mirrorless camera from Canon at Photokina 2018. We do not believe that (and got no hints for it). And we are not yet sure if Canon’s long rumored full frame mirrorless camera will be released to the general public in 2018 (Q1 2019 seems more likely).
Most likely Canon’s upcoming full frame mirrorless camera has already leaked through certification authorities. Still, we have no hints about the specifications, or the mount type.
Despite all the murmuring and rumor-recycling, we know very little about Canon’s full frame mirrorless camera. All tidbits we collected and were told in the past are listed here. Please note that none of the following has been confirmed to us so far:
- Dedicated full frame CMOS sensor
- Different sources and sites were reporting that early prototypes exist, at least to be tested inside Canon’s labs. This intel came in 2016 and early 2017.
- Canon is possibly working on a full-frame mirrorless camera with EF mount. There have been rumors saying that Canon is delaying this camera because of issues in implementing the EF mount. There is a lot of talk about this. If Canon manages to engineer a full-frame mirrorless camera with EF mount, thus allowing us to use our beloved EF lenses on a smaller and hopefully performing body, it will be a winner. Imagine what you could do with a MILC that goes along with your EF lenses. There is a serious chance we may see this.
- The latest bit of info I got suggests Canon will announce a full-frame mirrorless camera with a sensor having a resolution of 36-38MP.
- Announcement may come for Photokina 2018 (September), or later in 2019 Q1.
At the end of the day, there is just one thing we can be sure about: Canon is set to announce a full frame mirrorless camera within a year. Here at CW we know since a while and reported it. All Canon full frame mirrorless rumors are listed here.