B&H has another one day only SanDisk memory card deal going on. One day only: its today, June 19, and it will last as long as it will last. Click here if you are looking out for some memory card deals (all cards on sale are listed).
Adorama just dropped me an email about the Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM pancake availability. The pancake can be expected to be served next friday (click here to order, $199, ships for free in the US). So, gals and guys, it’s here, ready to muse your photographic creativity. A lens getting very good reviews.
Canon U.S.A. today launched the new Canon Filmmaker Award Program in partnership with Film Independent, the non-profit arts organization that produces the Spirit Awards and the Los Angeles Film Festival. Open to eligible Film Independent Fellows, Los Angeles Film Festival alumni, and Spirit Awards Nominees and Winners, the program is designed to help emerging filmmakers ‘leave no story untold.’ Canon’s Press Release:
Canon U.S.A. Launches New Program To Benefit Film Independent Filmmakers At The 2012 Los Angeles Film Festival
Firmware Version 1.1.3 incorporates the following improvements and fixes.
1. Supports the single focal length EF40mm f/2.8 STM lens that is to be released at the end of June, 2012.
2. Fixes a phenomenon in which an image may become underexposed when using the Auto Lighting Optimizer for continuous Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB) shooting.
3. Fixes a phenomenon in which the backlight of the LCD monitor may not turn off depending on the camera settings and timing.
4. Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera’s power may not turn on when a super-telephoto lens*1) is mounted to the camera with an extender*2). *1) EF 300mm F2.8L IS II USM / EF 400mm F2.8L IS II USM *2) Extender EF 1.4X III / Extender EF 2X III
5. Corrects mistakes in the Dutch, Italian, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, and Swedish menu screens. Firmware Version 1.1.3 is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.1.2. If the camera’s firmware is already Version 1.1.3, it is not necessary to download this firmware.
Rumours about a possible EF 14-24mm f/2.8L lens by Canon are strolling around since Nikon released its 14-24mm f/2.8. Now the rumour got a fresh-up, suggesting that Canon may release (or at least announce) such a lens within the next 12 months (as reported on canonrumors). I can’t say anything, no rumour about a supposed EF 14-24mmf/2.8L lens reached me, but, hey!, I would love to see (and have) a 14-24mm f/2.8L lens. What about you?
The cute little pancake by Canon is starting to get reviews. It got f/2.8, it’s light (both in your pocket and on your wallet) and it has very good performance – all for $199. ephotozine got its hands on the EF 40mm f/2.8 STM pancake for a review. Results are pretty good. “Autofocus is very swift and precise“, or “At maximum aperture, sharpness in the centre of the frame is already excellent” and “chromatic aberrations are virtually non-existent, remaining under half a pixel width in size at all apertures” are some of the comments you can read in the review. From the final verdict:
- Excellent sharpness
- Low distortion
- Compact and lightweight
- Fast focusing
- No full time manual focus override
- Strong vignetting
- More than double the price of the 50mm f/1.8 (although performance and build probably justify this)
EF 40mm f/2.8 STM availability and price check: B&H Photo, Adorama, Amazon USA, Amazon CA, KEH Camera, BestBuy, Canon CA, Canon USA. If these do not have the 40mm pancake, you may be able to pre-order it at Adorama (click here) and B&H (click here).