A lot of us think that Canon will push the EOS M system after the announcement of the Canon EOS M3. What to some degree is missing are native lenses for the system (though you can use any Canon EF and EF-S lens thru the adapter).
That’s where this rumor perfectly fits. The rumor suggest that a Canon EF-M 85mm f/1.8 IS STM lens may be around the the corner. I am just wondering if a 85mm lens is the most urgent thing to release to push the EOS M system. Other focal lengths would be more appreciated, and also more useful for the EOS M system.
What we heard (here at CW) is that Canon will announce a new EF-M 18-55mm IS STM kit lens, to pair with the new EOS M3. I have no candidate announcement date for the new EF-M 18-55mm IS STM lens, but if the rumor is reliable then an announcement in Q4 2015 could be plausible. Canon would be in time to bundle the new kit lens with the EOS M3, ready for X-Mas sales.
Canon EOS M3 now shipping!
The Canon EOS M3 is not on sale in the USA. You can order it at DigitalRev (ships internationally).
EOS M3 specifications:
- 24.2 MP APS-C CMOS sensor
- Hybrid CMOS AF III
- Powerful DIGIC 6 processing
- 3.0 inch (1040k) ClearView II Tilt Touchscreen
- 49 Point AF
- 4.2 fps continuous shooting
- Scene Intelligent Auto
- Stunning 1080p movies at 24, 25 and 30 fps
- Creative Assist
- Wi-Fi, Dynamic NFC, remote control and sharing
About our rumour rating:
- CW1 – probably fake rumor, not reliable (less than 15% chance to be real)
- CW2 – rumor from an unknown/new source, but otherwise at least a plausible rumor (15%-40% chance to be real)
- CW3 – around 50% chance to be real, coming from a known source, or from new source with good insight in Canon’s business
- CW4 – rumor from a known source that was right in the past, high probability to be true (60%-80% chance to be real)
- CW5 – as good as certain to be true